H34 listing to statboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nathan Clark

The 86 hunter 34 that a buddy and I are trying to prchase is listing to starboard due to central a/c and a genset both on the starboard side along with the batteries and the hot water heater. Would it be advisable to put some ballast on the port side to correct some os this list? How far from the stern should it be located since the genset is by the batteries and the a/c is just in front of the galley? The water heater was also moved next to the galley sink and a little more to starboard. We thought about putting the ballast under the aft berth and against the hull. Also, what is the best material for ballast and in what type of container? Nathan Clark

J

Jim Oursler in Rockwall

list to starboard

Evene without the A/C.. they all list to starboard before the A/c is installed. The A/C only weighs 75 lbs. Even with it on port side.. she lists to starboard. Keep heavy crew on port side... plus about 300 pounds under the nav table. Actually.. you can move the batteries and get a partial cure. Best of luck jim

C

Clyde Lichtenwalner

No

Pust somethine useful on the port side like batteries, and heavy stores. Never add ballast, there are enough heavy items a cruising boat carries without burdening it with non-useful ballast.

G

Geoff McLaughlin

careful where

Whatever you do, move material, add, watch out that it is well supported as the quarter panel area under the berth on the port side is fairly weak and doesn't want a load right on the hull panel. Previous owner of my 34 converted the aft berth to single, and moved the aft water tank, the battery bank and the water heater onto the centerline where half of that berth used to be.

D

DJ Dreyer

A little bit here...

The original 1983 H34's had two batteries in the aft cabin under a small sink (later models deleted sink) where the storage area under the closet is now (also used to be a big cleat in the anchor well, later 34's had just a u-bolt). Moving 120 lbs of batteries from port to Stbd and the additional Batteries that everyone puts in (I now have 5 batteries on my 34 - going to change to 4 soon) adds up to the stbd list. It is not worth just adding ballast to the port side to level your boat. If you add any heavy equip, try and place it as close to the center (fore and aft) of the boat on the port side, low down as you can and keep as much weight from the stbd side. Use the aft water tank first and try and keep the holding tank as empty as possible (use pump out stations!) Good Sailing, DJ

D

David C.

list to starboard

All 34's list to starboard. All the heavy equipment in the boat is on that side. Batteries, ice box, stove, HWH, holding tank, head, plus everything we could stuff in the remaining space (we are live aboards). Use the water in the stern tank first, keep the holding tank empty. One person I know did away with the bunk in the aft cabin and moved the batteries to the centerline ther and put in shelves and rods and used the rest of the space for a large hanging locker.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
410 too

my 410 lists to starboard too. I corrected this by adding another 4D battery, but the list comes back anytime I get lower than half a tank of fuel. I've found that using my water tanks in the following order helps a bit: starboard, port, aft.

Status
Not open for further replies.