H34 Icebox

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Hi;

Can anyone tell me the cubic size of an H34 icebox?
Thinking of installing an Isotherm system as recently discussed. Any size recommendations?
Also, what is the difference between a holding plate system and an evaporator system?

Thanks in advance.
Ilan

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Ilan, I can't help with the size.. but it is a good size..!?
A holding plate is a kind of a "tank" in which is contained a solution that freezes a good bit below 32F .. The cooling coils run through the tank and when the compressor is running, it freezes the stuff in the tank .. then that stuff slowly thaws and absorbs heat.. it "stores cold" kinda like if ya had a way to re-freeze the water from ice melt.. Used to be a popular way to reduce power draw and many systems were engine driven so that when ya ran the engine to charge the batteries, you froze the holding plate.. and it would hold for a day or two.. This technology has become less popular now that the Danfoss guys have made a great little very efficient compressor and control module..

Jul 4, 2015
Ilan, I can't help with the size.. but it is a good size..!?
A holding plate is a kind of a "tank" in which is contained a solution that freezes a good bit below 32F .. The cooling coils run through the tank and when the compressor is running, it freezes the stuff in the tank .. then that stuff slowly thaws and absorbs heat.. it "stores cold" kinda like if ya had a way to re-freeze the water from ice melt.. Used to be a popular way to reduce power draw and many systems were engine driven so that when ya ran the engine to charge the batteries, you froze the holding plate.. and it would hold for a day or two.. This technology has become less popular now that the Danfoss guys have made a great little very efficient compressor and control module..
Thanks! Ilan

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
It might be better to ask what systems that have worked well have been installed into H34 ice boxes.

Jul 4, 2015
Has anyone installed an H 34 refrigeration unit. Any suggestions?
Thanks. Ilan

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 34 Forked River, NJ
I have a Adler-Barber unit for the past 25+ years, no problem keeping food cold, and I have the freezer with a door and have kept ice cream in there !

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I went with the Isotherm. At 8ft^2 my icebox is kinda in between small and big so I went with the bigger size with the evaporator. SF BAY is relatively cool all year and the water stays in the 55-65 degree range. This means an air cooled compressor works fine. In fact, it turned out my system works better than fine. I have to keep it at its warmest setting or I have a freezer. It comes on about every 15 minutes and runs for about a minute each time. I run my boat on a single deep cycle battery (with dedicated starter battery) with no problems. It will go two or three days before the battery runs down.

Nov 5, 2009
Hunter 34 Quebec
Almost all maker of refrigeration unit use the same compressor by Danfoss. The two most common model of compressor are the DB35 (smaller) and BD50 (bigger).

In my case I used the smaller BD35 air cooled compressor and it worked very well during our winter in the Bahamas. I did not take measurements of the running time vs stand-by time but it seemed very reasonable AND all that time the compressor was on its lowest speed (speed are adjustable by adding/removing a resistor). But my icebox was a bit modified by adding insulation all around (spray can) and also raising the bottom a couple of inch, because this is the area with the worst insulation from the factory, and because it is just too deep to reach anyway. Volume went from 8 cu. feet. to about 6 cu. feet. I recommend both modifications, or at least the first as it is fairly quick to do.

Also, I used the evaporator which is built to form a box with a little door. This worked perfectly and stuff stayed frozen in this compartment.

The compressor was put on a bracket in the aft compartment (over the diesel tank) with a hot air exhaust to the cockpit so as to not overheat the compartment. Not sure how much this vent helped versus just letting natural air circulation...