H34 hot water lines

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
I noticed some coolant on the floor in the galley and see the hot water lines are routed along the hull behind the trash can and stove. Looks like time to replace them, has anyone done this that can offer any advice or tips? Looks like they run below the starter battery to the hull then over to the dinette. I'd like to buy the new hose to do the in and out in one operation, any idea how much I will need?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
The hot water lines that you are describing should not have coolant in them. The lines with coolant from the engine run under the sole directly from the engine to the water heater.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Charlie, your PO may have re-routed the coolant hoses; the ones in my '84 run as Mark says, forward through the main beam then directly to the heater exchanger.. Yours may be a lot easier to access but will require lots more hose.
Those two black hoses from the top of the engine as you can seeYanmar Front Label.JPG PA090715.JPG , go down and forward, under the floor then up to the heater..

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
Thanks for the replies. I went back today to verify the routing and found the lines are indeed routed back through the starboard locker. I don't see a hole in the beam forward of the engine so I'm thinking it is perhaps original on my '83?

Turns out that was not the problem anyway. The hold-downs on my house bank gave way and they tipped over against the hull leaking battery acid which ran along the ledge where the hoses were routed. Spent the evening pulling out all the batteries, spraying down with a baking soda solution and sucking it up with the shop vac.

At least fixing the hold downs will be easier than replacing the hot water lines. I was planning to get a new HWT soon and thought I should replace the lines but now that I've seen them routed forward it is so much cleaner. Also the hot water doesn't really work too well under motor which could be from this additional length of hose. Wonder if I could drill the holes and fish them through with the sole in place?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Good feedback, Charlie.. There were several detail differences in the early 34's I did not know this one..
Does your 83 have the 4 cylinder Westerbeke engine?