H34 Fuel filter

Jul 28, 2013
Hunter 34 Holland, Mi
I have this primary fuel filter in my H34. I was hoping someone could give me the details and where to find replacement filters. Thank You.

Attachments

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
A65Sailor...

That looks like a water separator, not a filter, to me. Have you opened it up? Is there a filter element inside? If not, it's not a filter. If there is, take the element to a marine store or an auto parts store like a NAPA one to see if they can match the element.

You really should remove what that thing is and install a good Racor water separating filter--a 120 is adequate for the 3GM. I had a Perko thing that looked a lot like that on the boat when I bought it--took it off as also had a good Racor unit also installed.

Sep 14, 2013
Hunter 34 Seattle, WA
It'll always be a pain to get the right filter if you have an odd unit. I'd replace it w/ a Racor so replacements will be easily found.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
My thoughts too. You can have a quality filter/seperator for $100 or so and you will be able to get filters easily.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Primary Filter H-34

That is a different looking one for sure. My boat came with a Fram as in the picture; the orange top thing just forward of the blue muffler. I have a Racor that is waiting to be installed, but it hasn't made it in yet. I think that old Fram Model C-1110 PB was part of many if not most of the 34 builds in the mid 80's.

Attachments

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
I have one like that on my H34 ( 83). It is a Perko 750998. It does have a cylindrical filter inside made of some sort of hard kind or porous ceramic like material. I added a Racor nearer the motor and left that one in place, I will probably have to omit the filter eventually, but I have been able to clean it by rinsing in kerosene and blowing it clear from the inside of the cylinder-( opposite from the way the fuel flows through.) I have not been able to find a source of filters- if you do please let me know

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Ditto on the Racor. I had that same Perko but deep sixed it when I changed my setup. Mount it up high in the front of the engine compartment and it will be easy to service, especially in a rolling seaway. Some have said the clear bowls should not be used in the engine compartment, so I ordered a new solid metal one from Racor to swap from what is shown in the picture.

Attachments

Jul 28, 2013
Hunter 34 Holland, Mi
Thanks for all the input! I plan to put in a Racor but was hoping to get another year out of this one. I have a large list of projects I am trying to get done this year so one less thing to do would be good.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
old Fram Model C-1110 PB
I had one of those. After my first fuel filter change with all the fuel spilling and the long bleeding process, I switched it out for a Racor 500. Best project I have done on the boat so far. Highly recommend you move this project up your list of want to do's.

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
I had a Fram. Replaced it with 2 racors. Put valves on the fuel hoses so I can switch by simply turning valves. Also put a primer bulb in engine room so I can pressurize.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
I had one of those. After my first fuel filter change with all the fuel spilling and the long bleeding process, I switched it out for a Racor 500. Best project I have done on the boat so far. Highly recommend you move this project up your list of want to do's.
totally agree. I put 2 of them in. one on the yanmar and one on the panda.

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
If you run out of space in the front, I mounted my Racor in the back with a vacuum gauge with an aluminum bracket and is easily accessible thru the rear berth access port; is essentially in the propeller shaft alley, on it's port side.