H34 Diagram

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
C5A0B0ED-F146-4362-A234-404877532AB0.jpeg
B50A0698-CD58-46DC-BEB6-F83CEC1ED051.jpeg
30981862-0F5C-4AE8-BAA1-AD401EB8F564.jpeg

Greetings fellow marine poopers

New to big boats owner here (1-week) and just received Peggy’s book yesterday via Amazon express. I’m on the boat now and will start reading tonight. I’ve attached a picture of the current configurationmess of hoses on my H34 discharge system.

Yesterday, I found a leak in my Jabasco 18590, so thought I’d take a relook at the web of hoses and possibly get it designed/laid out better this time around.

I’m also going to be changing the bulkhead panel which separates the shower from the dining area as the leaky pump rotted out the backside of the shower panel. And doing the compression post repair, too (another story).
The 110v chord in the picture is for the TV above.

A few questions here:
1. Edit: My pump had a 90 screwed onto the inlet, can I do away with this and mount the pump sideways vs vertical? It was mounted with the motor on top and pump on bottom. I’ve read that it’s best to have the pump above the tank.
2. My holding tank lid is a poor fit (too loose), any ideas on good fix?
3. When I look at the original H34 pluming diagram, it appears to show the pump inside the shower compartment vs under dining settee. Which is the best place for it?
4. Vents: I currently have one vent thru hull. Would I need to be adding another thru-hull vent?
5. I’m sure Peggy’s book details some of this, but couldn’t wait till I got home! I’d assume Peggy recommends Trident or Saniflex hoses?

See attached and thank you - Shannon

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Attached is original set up with manual pump.. (yellow stuff in head is bayou water, not waste) I have not gone to an electric macerator .. I don't think the electric pumps are self priming so they have to be at or below the liquid level.. The motor is best if mounted above the pump, but mechanically, I don't think it makes a difference.. In motor-above-pump, leaks will not so quickly get into the motor.. The macerator pumps don't have a good reliability record..
Holding tank lid? the removable one or the hard cover that the cushion sits on?
Vents.. Peggy's book will lead to the conclusion that ya need a bigger vent from the tank to the thru-hull.. Better to make bigger (with new fitting on tank) than add one.. I haven't done that yet.
The red rubber hose in my picture is a chemical hose with an impervious liner.. so, much like the good Trident ..
Head and plumbing 1.JPG

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Mnmpizza
If you are going to do all the work of re-doing the pluming system you might want to consider a fresh water flushing system. Cuts down tank odor a lot.

I have always considered to convert to aft water tank to supply the water to flush the head but I am too lazy and the shower head is so convenient for a quick flush.

Jan 5, 2018
I like what both you guys are saying! I’ll look at a manual macerator located inside shower compartment like Claude. And, begin to utilize the shower for quick flush.

I hate that the pump is in the cabin and could leak at any time. It’s done tremendous damage to the panel and compression post; so it’s going to get moved.

Claude: how hard is it to manually evacuate 30-gal with that pump??? Thanks, Shannon

Jan 5, 2018
It says Kracor Inc. / Milwaukee, WI

This lid:
image.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018
Claude, is your pump mounted to the hull, or suspended between the in/out hoses?

Nov 6, 2006
Not hard to empty the tank manually at all.. takes less than 10 minutes.. .. The Whale pump is mounted to the big fiberglass bracket. I can see, in your picture, the old screw holes on yours (behind the hoses).. The clean out port in the tank top is not standard and was installed by a previous owner. Looks like a deck plate .. may have mismatched threads? (wrong cover for the base?)
Pretty sure this is the pump I have: http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/pr...009&Product_ID=10012&FriendlyID=Gusher-Urchin

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Kloudie is write whale urchin pump works fine however get the upgrade rebuild kit from me directly because the diaphragm will ware out within a year. Mine did and they said that the neoprene material is only rated for water and not very resistant to chemicals.
It fits almost within to same holes of the factory original. Nice thing about urchin pump is that you can adjust the pumping handle. I think you can buy it on amazon or defender a lot cheaper the west marine

Nov 6, 2006
Fixed handle, on deck. You can buy the nitrile diaphragm kit as a spare and install it when the other fails..
Robbie, do you sell parts for these things?

Jan 5, 2018
Claude,

In Peggy’s book she says to not run that fill line (the green one) directly to the toilet but to run it up above the WL and in a loop back to the toilet. I’m sure you’re aware of this, so why did u keep it this way? Also, I cleaned your toilet
D17F54FE-69C4-47D4-B770-2A943F517B47.jpeg

Nov 6, 2006
Thanks for the clean up !
I know that the waterline is just a little below the toilet rim on my boat so it won't overflow if/when the valve leaks .. I have had guests leave the wet/dry switch in thee wet position and the bowl fills but does not overflow.. I don't worry about it when sailing because I check on stuff below every now and again..
I noticed that your picture has a vented loop in that line; I'd probably not change it..