H34 Currently Crossing The Atlantic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2004
Island Packet Island Packet 29 West River, MD
Richard Bennett, who has posted on this site in the past, is currently crossing the Atlantic in his 1983 Hunter 34 singlehanded. He left Solomons Island in the Chesapeake on May 8 and after a short stop in Newport News headed to Burmuda May 11 arriving May 18. After a weeks stay he left for the Azores on May 25 and arrived last night, June 19. He only stayed 24 hours and he is currently enroute to France. If you would like to follow his progress you can do so on www.winlink.org. Go to "Position Reporter" and type in his call sign which is "m0eaz". He expects this last leg to France, 1280 miles, will take him twelve days. Richard has posted here on HOW under the name Hunter Voyager (check the archives) and his home port is in Lowestoft, England. He's an interesting guy that bought his Hunter somewhere in Michigan in 2006 and sailed it to the Chesapeake before putting her on the hard in Solomons Island and then returning home. He came back in April of this year, spent about five weeks getting her ready and then sailed away. He has a website that tells a little about him and his boat and if I can find it again I'll post it. Good luck Richard!

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Good luck

I want to wish this guy the best of luck, fair winds and all that.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
The pond

I sold my 1979 Cal 34 III to a guy from Russia. He and his partners were here for two weeks fixing her up. Left about 2.5 weeks ago...First stop was the Azors. They expected 23 days to cross.......... PS - The check cleared well before they left!

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
Oh, the nerve of them!!

Oh my, how dare they do this in anything other than a BLUEWATER boat!! :) Surely they could not have read the many postings here and elsewhere as to what boat they really needed... a full keeled, double-ender, cutter rigged, 3 inch thick glass (like they used to build them) with a small cockpit. Oh, I nearly forgot, a narrow beam too.

Jun 6, 2007
-Hunter 34 Saba Rocks II
Website

I was curious, so I looked around and found the website... www.geocities.com/dynamic.systems@btinternet.com/index.html

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Not Bluewater Boats?

...Oh, the horror! ;D Rick D.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Always Was An Issue of Intestinal Fortitude!!

Much discussed and much debated about what a "blue water" boat is or should be. I remember when I was docked at the Titusville, Fla marina back in 1984 stopping for a few days during my ICW adventure, when a young guy in a fairly old and worn H-28 was loading bags of rice, a solar distillation unit and other gear, was asked as to where he was heading. He simply told me, he was heading out that day for the Panama Canal and then the South Pacific with Tahiti as his final destination! No radio, no engine, old spruce mast and as much pride and confidence as I ever witnessed. Here I was afraid of where my next ICW grounding was going to be on my deep keeled (5'6") Coronado 35 and this kid was going to sail an old small boat halfway across the world?! From then I figured every boat is a "blue water sailor" no matter it be a Compac 16 or a Swann 65! What it gets down to blue water sailing folks its simply how much guts do you have to make the adventure? I praise this Hunter sailor and all whomever set their sails and sights across the seas. Bob 30 Catalina Sailing on calm Lake Lanier, GA

C

Cap'n Ron

Fair winds & seas...

Rick, You and other 'cocktail' yacht owners are missing the point methinks....;-) I have indeed taken Hunters into the vast "Bluewater" but then I once cruised the Hawaiian Islands in a Mahganey cutter that we had to constantely bail to keep from sinking, and there have been people go over Niagra falls in barrels and survived. He will undoubtedly make it across the 'pond' safer than driving the freeways in ANY case, but if this fellow was caught in the small percentage of boats out when a 'bomb' comes through, like "Fatnet 70" then he would be better off in a cheaper better built boat like a pearson or my personal favorite the "Wetsnail". No, you need not drive a Hansy or Lord Nelson to scamper cross the Atlantic, but seeing daylight through the hull is not my idea of a shipshape vessel either. The Hunter, an eye=pleasing 'cocktail' yacht is a good performer but I would never take one 'out there' again. I had one start leaking through the keel to stubby joint and lost her 900 nm from Hawaii that was three years old! I will not respond to any following comments, I never do as I am not here to argue with anyone nor insult anyones opinion, boat nor philosophy...I greatly admire Thor Heyerdahl's Kon Tiki exepedition of 1948 and as a boy that is all I wanted to do, after 50 years of sailing on thousands of boats I have changed...a little less brave but very sure of what I can do. Like the Russian said, "Who says this game is dangerous, noting happen to me" he had been playing Russian-roulette with a live round.

May 5, 2006
Knutson K-35 Yawl Bellingham
Ron

I'm not interested in argueing but am, like others here I'm sure, interested in a rehash of that Hunter story.

Jul 24, 2006
Macgregor 25 Tulsa, Ok.
Gettheritis

I read the other longer post on blue water boats. After reading the book "A Speck On The Sea" about improbable sailing craft, I'm still not 100% what a good blue water boat is. The Atlantic has been crossed on a Jet Ski. Okay, I've read plenty on what is assumed to be the ideal boats, but I digress. There are boats I'd attempt sailing to Hawaii or England in and some I'd avoid entirely. If Richard Bennett had taken a different route or the same route at a different time of year, he might not be doing so well. Sounds to me like he's using some serious common sense. Great sailing skills and experience are worthless if the skipper doesn't use his/her common sense. Point is, some of it has to do with luck, some has to do with not being in a hurry and being willing to risk your life against rough weather. Witness someone like Shane Acton, who sailed around the world in a wooden 18ft. Caprice Sloop he bought for 400 pounds in the late 1960's. I believe his voyage lasted well over 6 years and he was described as a novice sailor when he left England. Point is, he wasn't in a hurry and didn't have a problem waiting out rough weather ashore. I've heard stories of very experienced sailors (read: over-confident) who think since they have a 50 ft. blue water boat they can manage anything the weather throws at them who were never heard from again because they purposely sailed out into an area of the earth which has nasty weather at a given time of the year. Anyone remember the poor guy who lost his 44 ft. steel ketch off Cape Horn a few months ago? A woman in her 28 ft. Southern Cross made it around the Horn within days of that loss. The ocean floor is littered with the boats of people who try to maintain a tight schedule and are un-willing to wait out nasty weather. "Getthereitis" is also attributed to many small plane crashes.

Mar 1, 2005
Hunter 34 North East, MD
Another H34 sailor...

Ken Yap, who posts on the Sailnet Hunter list and sails out of Hong Kong, recently crossed the equator at 104' 22" in his H34. A well-founded Ted Hood Little Harbor yacht with numerous blue water crossings was recently lost of the Carolinas in the first named storm of the season. Timing, luck, and experience have a great deal to do with crossing big waters. Go Richard!

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
Lets be fair Cap'n Ron

it now just Hunters, it is all production boat! Can you take them in Blue water, Yes! People do it in row boats for goodness sakes. Do most people? No! Most people that sail in what is consider Blue Water buy what are consider blue water boats!

Jun 7, 2007
Pearson- 323- Mobile,Al
Comfort not just survival

A boat's motion at sea makes a lot of difference in how tired you get. Light beamy boats bounce around more than a heavy narrow boat. When things get rough they sea kindly boat is still comfortable while the bouncy boat has a crew puking. Puking for a few hours on a daysail is one thig but puking for days is another. I guess the other thing is do you want an adventure where you keep your fingers crossed praying that you won't have a gale...Or do you head to sea fully expecting to get to the other side...knowing that you and your boat can handle most foreseeable weather. My advice for any boat is to get to know the boat before heading out. WE sailed our Pearson 323 in Mobile Bay for several months before going out into the gulf. We went out in 20+ knots with a bad chop in the bay and the boat handled it well. Then we went out of Pensacola on a few day sails. Then we sailed from Pensacola to Mobile on the outside. By this time our confidence in our boat was good. We sailed from Pensacola over to Panama City overnight. Everything we've met so far our boat has handled well. At this point I'd sail from Panama City to Key west with little fear. When we met 15'+ waves at the mouth of Mobile bay our boat rode over the waves without any problem. They weren't breaking!!!! I've been out in conditions that my Pearson handled easily that would be extremely challenging in our old Mac 26. My main fear with the Mac26 is that it would start surfing down a wave broach and then roll. Also the boat would beat us to death even if it didn't sink or roll.

J

Joe Mullee

Actually It's Richard's 2nd Crossing

He's made the trip from the West Indies (don't remember exactly where) to France via Bermuda and the Azores in a Beneteau 30 a few years ago. I've met and spoken to him many times. As other's have already assumed he's a very smart and patient guy. He understands electronics and mechanical systems quite well probably in part due to his backround in designing large commercial refrigeration. Like alot of you guys his brain just works that way. He sold his company a few years ago and now has more time to do what many of us can only wish for, to follow his passion sailing. He appears to know his limitiations and those of his boat, does diligent homework, and prepares the timing and route based on the best predictions. No one could ever say this guy has more balls than brains. Joe Mullee

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Know of a Catalina 25 that crossed blue water

There is a Catalina 25 that is in my marina that sailed from the east coast all the way to Hawaii. The original owner sailed it all over the place. The new owner barely moves the boat out of the slip now. I still think that it is pretty amazing that someone crossed big water on a Catalina 25.

Jun 12, 2004
Allied Mistress 39 Ketch Kemah,Tx.
Do not underestimate the Cat 25

I certainly would not sail a catalina 25 across an ocean, but trust me, it is a very capable boat. Mine had the fin keel. I took it through hell and back at times. My GF wanted to go cruising off into the sunset with it. Thats how much faith she had in it. There is a lot to be said about small. All of the rigging is easier to handle. Tony B

Status
Not open for further replies.