H34 Anchor Locker Door

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
I've searched and don't see any write-ups on this: My anchor locker door is very spongy. I removed the door this weekend and took it home to work on it. The gelcoat on the inside which was covering the balsa core was compromised and the core has gotten wet on the edges. So, I figured I'd start removing the core/gelcoat from the inside. The topside of mine is perfect...

Before I rebuild the door the way it was originally, I was hoping some of you already encountered and corrected this problem in years past. And, would share some steps/pictures of how it was corrected.

Here's a picture of my headstone, I mean locker cover
IMG_7868.JPG
[partially cleaned up]:

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Has not been a problem here (so far) .. Ya might consider going back with Klegecell foam instead of balsa.. price difference on such a small piece is negligible .. Ya may be able to find some scrap at a fiberglass shop ..

Jan 5, 2018
Cool, never heard of Klegecell - - sounds much more friendly to water intrusion... Shannon

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
mnmpizza: I have a similar problem. what tool did you use for cutting from the underside? And, was there a particular trick to cutting so you didn't cut all the way through to the top layer?

Jan 5, 2018
I used one of these with a carbide bit:
B7A174C0-0DA4-49F5-AA8B-CDFD954D06FF.png
I finished getting the remaining balsa sandwich off. Took about 45-minutes total. Now I just need to begin the repair

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The quadrant cover on my C30 has rotted. I have a sheet of G10 fiberglass board to epoxy in, in place of the wood. Probably too heavy to use on an anchor locker.

Jan 5, 2018
It seems in order to do this repair properly, I'd need to 'peel back' the gel coat? if so, what's the best method? Thanks, Shannon

Jul 6, 2018
Hunter 40' Solomons Island
Just purchased Hunter with the same locker door problem Previously someone drilled holes in it ??? Looking forward to reading your experience/success with this!! Good Luck

Jan 5, 2018
I’m going to take it to the yard where my boat is tomorrow and have them give me some direction on it... Will report back by week’s end. Shannon

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
I just ground the whole thing out on the bottom and filled with cloth and resin for full thickness , no core, as I wanted the strength to mount my windlass on.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I just ground the whole thing out on the bottom and filled with cloth and resin for full thickness , no core, as I wanted the strength to mount my windlass on.
You're going to mount the windlass to the door? You'll be transferring the force to the hull through the door hinges - I don't think that's a good idea.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I just ground the whole thing out on the bottom and filled with cloth and resin for full thickness , no core
Shannon,
That's not a bad idea to fill it with polyester resin and matt or roving. After completely setting, you can sand the entire inside surface and spray a coat of gel coat or two part epoxy paint for a completely finished appearance. Will definitely be stronger, if the additional weight isn't a concern.
Mounting a windlass on a hinged door as Heart mentioned is not a good idea; going to rip the door off the hinges.

Jan 5, 2018
I’m going to use “coosa board” and get it done... Will report back next week.

And no windlass

Thanks

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
Ah, yeah, I know that sounded stupid but there is more to the story. I cut the door in half, fore and aft, mounted the forward half solid, with windlass mounted on it, and the back half is still hinged for access to the chain locker. The picture shows how it turns out on a friends boat that I did as well.

Attachments

Jul 6, 2018
Hunter 40' Solomons Island
Interesting the design/configuration looks very functional. Is there an anchor (#2) stored in the locker?

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
Interesting the design/configuration looks very functional. Is there an anchor (#2) stored in the locker?
You could store the original Bruce as there is a place for it but it would take up too much room and too much weight on the bow. I pull the rode back to that spot and the chain settles in the lower locker part.

Aug 23, 2011
Hunter 31 Georgetown, MD
Greetings,
I had the same problem with my H31.
I ended up using AZEK scraps (Lowes) as a core/filler. It’s very light weight and plastic so it isn't going to rot in the future.
I made the mistake of not maintaining the arch of the lid by clamping the AZEK pieces flat to the lid in a bed of West Systems epoxy.
I then applied glass cloth tape around the perimeter and then a full layer of Bi-axil glass cloth over everything (all with West System). I then cover coated the epoxy with brushed on white gel coat. Turned out great!
There is a lot written about not being able to cover epoxy with gel-coat, but I haven’t had a problem with my repair it in over eight years.

Attachments

Jan 5, 2018
6FCD4523-3F39-4E25-AF6A-42B61819DA17.jpeg
I had the yard do it. They used coosa board. Came out nice. Charged me $350, so I’m pleased 2x