H34 Air Conditioning Vents

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron

I will be installing air conditioning in my 85 H34. The unit will be installed under the chart table in a cabinet that I built. My question is where do you have the cooling ducts run to and where have you placed your vents? Any suggestion on size and make of air conditioner? Thank You

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Alt Plan

Installed a Marineaire 16k btu heatpump winter before last. It tales all 16k when the temps are in the high 90's and the water is in the high 70-80 degree range. Installed ours in the aft dinette seat as far port as possible... moved the hot water heater to starboard to accomidate. This allowed me to put two vents in the end of the seat that can be aimed fore and aft to handle the berths or up to concentrate everything in the salon (solved problem of running duct). T'd off the head through hull for the raw water to save putting another below water line hole in the boat. Put filter in bilge area to make filter cleaning not so messy. I did an article to archives a year or so ago with a lot of details if you get interested in this approach. George "NeverLand"

J

Jim Oursler in Rockwall

A/C vents for H34

I think that under the seat in front of sink is too restrictive for ducts. On my 84, in March installed under chart table. Ran ducts to forward and aft berths, plus vent in main cabin. Works great. got mine thru Defender.. a Mermaid 16KBTU. Defender really loads up the kit with every fitting that you might consider (That's what Mermaid said.. and it was true).. Jim

J

Jeff Jones

Hey George!

Tried to find your post in the archeives without any luck. Where did you locate your unit? Has anyone considered mounting a unit in the V-birth? Jeff 'Escapade'

J

J K Kudera

Don't laugh!

We sail in New Jersey, our HOT season is not as long ,usually, as some of you further South. SOOO, I made a small wooen platform, for the cockpit floor that folds to 4" thick and15" long, custom made a set of two hatch boards, set a 5000BTU home window unit on the platform, (with all the hardware removed)thru the custom hatch board, with a hole to match the A/C unit, and plugged her in! To go below, you remove the top board, step over the A/C unit onto the step, and go in or out with ease. When sailing, I set the unit on the sole in front of the chart table, it does not move on the carpet, and there is room to walk by.

J

Jim Oursler in Rockwall

Do window A/Cs have a place on sailboats?

My hat is off to the man who uses a window A/CThree years ago I tried the window A/C route on a past boat, a Catalina 30. Problems included: water condensate drainage, noise, hastle of moving the unit, and the bigger hastle of climbing over it. I have seen two novel approaches: 1. Permanently mount a 12-16000 BTU unit on the dock with a monster air hose to a hatch. 2. The other involved putting the A/C on a pulley, used to drop it down on the forward hatch. This worked fine on a power boat dock with roof, but sailboat docks seldom have any support structure above the slip. I also tried one of those hatch mounted A/C units. Great for the guy under the hatch. However, it tries to perform the feat of cold air out, while sucking air in within a few inches of the outlet. This last consideration gets us back to why one wants to install a marine A/C with careful consideration to vent placement.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Hey George Reply

A Marineaire 16k btu will fit in the dinette seat closest to the galley if you move the hot water heater as far starboard as it will go. Face the intake foreward and cut a 12" by 12" intake where your legs go and put the 2 supply grills on the end. You can email me at harrellge@mail.ecu.edu if you have specific questions. George

Status
Not open for further replies.