H31 Mk1 deck organizer

Jul 23, 2018
hunter 31 aquia
was thinking of replaceing the deck organizer with a triple or a quad. Where is the attachment under the cabintop. these must be thru-bolted right?

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
On my '86 H34 the organizer is not through bolted; there is an embedded metal plate in the deck that is tapped to accept the organizer screw. Don't know about the H31.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Ditto on llanortho regarding the organizers tapped into the embedded in the deck. I think it is the same on the H31. I stacked another set with longer screws on mine.
20151230_140635.jpg

Jul 4, 2015
I used a Schaeffer Deck Organizer 602976 (Defender) 505-80. Screw hole alignment was perfect and matched previous hardware and did not have to drill new holes. Believe you may find specs at either Defender or Schaeffer web sites as to hole placement etc. In retrospect would recommend the stacked arrangement Allan has but again screw placement is same in terms of utilizing pre-existing holes in the embedded deck plate.

Allan; I elected not to do so worried that the upper deck lines would rub on the top of the tunnel passage. Is it a problem?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
anyone know how large the plate is? My organizer is slanted the other way from Allan12210 post. does not seem like the optimum placement.
Dasreboot: That plate is pretty much the entire raised area you can see under the organizers. Yes, the angle has been changed. I left one screw in its original position and then rotated the organizer slightly to allow the lines room to spread out slightly when exiting to the four sheet stoppers at the other end of the seahood. You can see in the new photo how the port side is still in its original position.

Allan; I elected not to do so worried that the upper deck lines would rub on the top of the tunnel passage. Is it a problem?
llanortho: The leading edge and underneath surface of the seahood is smooth, so it has never been a problem. In the picture you can see it just touches at the entrance then drops away underneath. I used to run my assymetric sail tack line on the vacant upper position, but that's been a long time ago. The vacant bottom position was for the mainsheet, but I changed that to a 7 part block system that I control right at the traveller. So, apparently I have outgrown the need for four lines on that entry to the sea hood. The current lines are for my boom brake (upper) and my main halyard (lower).
Turned.jpg
Touching.jpg

Jul 4, 2015
Any pictures of your boom? Would like to see your boom brake attachment and your main sheet setup. Thanks. Ilan

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Any pictures of your boom? Would like to see your boom brake attachment and your main sheet setup. Thanks. Ilan
I'll start a new thread so I don't hijack this one. Look for Hunter 34 Boom Brake.