H31 cabin sole finish

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
Does anyone know what Hunter used as a finish on the H31 cabin sole? I am planning to replace just the port section of the main cabin sole and hope to match it with the remaining section. Thanks. Reg

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
Thanks - well its definitely not teak oil now, I suspect a satin finish varnish or polyurathane. Guess I'll just have to pick one and hope for the best.

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Reg
What ever you try do a small patch first. If you can do it on the under side.

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
Thanks Don, I'll just use a piece of scrape left over from the new sole.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Reg,

FWIW, I replaced most of my sole and refinished what I didn't replace. I encapsulated all the new pieces in West System epoxy with the clear hardener. Then varnished the surface with Petttit 1015. They look great and will be impervious to water for the rest of my sailing life.

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
I plan to coat the underside and edges of both port and stbd sections as well as the two cabin sole hatches with with West System. Even though I am only replacing the port side I will take up the Stbd side and coat it. I don't see the advantage of doing the top with epoxy, I'll just coat it with clear satin polyurathane. In 2000 when I rebuilt my last boat (a CSY 44) before setting off on 7 years of cruising, I replaced all the cabin soles in the whole boat. I coated the bottom and edges with West System and used a clear satin polyurathane and it held up very well right up to when I sold the boat in 2008, it did not deteriorate at all. Having said that, the CSY bilges were very deep and no bilge water ever touched the underside of the soles like it does with the H31 whenever you heel if there is water in the bilge. I do try to keep as little water as possible in the bilge but it is impossible to keep it dry as I don't have a dripless stuffing box (yet). I do plan to seal the drain on the icebox this spring and figure out a plan later how to get the water out of it, maybe a small 12V pump with a hose teeing into the sink drain. We won't be using the shower in the head.