H30T owners. Winch question

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I want to tear down, clean, lubricate and rebed my Barient 21-33 jibsheet winches on my bench at home. I'm assuming they are thru-bolted and not screwed into embedded plates. It that correct? If so, I think removing the port winch will be okay thru the locker. How does the starboard winch come off? Do I need to go thru the engine panel to get behind it? I don't remember if there's any access from the aft berth.
Any H30T owners done this?
port side.jpg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks John. I'll save these. I will try this weekend to remove them. Still need to get grease and oil. Reading other threads, there are many opinions on what to use.
I think my springs and pawls are okay. They sound crisp, just feels like too much drag in the drums. Ordered some new covers sewn for ST winches.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I think you will find it's easier to service them in place. No need to remove the base. These are a really simple job.

Ken

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Cut small round hole in a cardboard box and put over winch if you service on deck so you don't loose any parts

GCBla

Apr 12, 2019
Hunter 30T Maple Bay
I also want to service my Barient 21-33 winches. Does anyone have servicing instructions or a schematic for this winch. It does not seem to be on the Barient parts list above. Thanks.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I never found one but they are pretty straightforward. This was my first experience with winches. I ended up doing them on the boat, not a bench.
Be sure to reclock the self-tailer back to it's original position. One thing I found out and corrected from someone's previous overhaul is the little black "tang" that spins around in the jaws is supposed to be held by the tailer. Mine was not.
Order the Lewmar Kit. It comes with grease, oil and replacement springs.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I think it's the "speed ratings" . They are 2 speed self tailing winches. Only problem is Barient is no longer in business. I'm in the process of ordering repair parts for BOTH of my 21-33s and my model 17 halyard winch from Australia.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh. I had observed that the 21 you speak of is a "21 ST 2 speed". Learn something new every day.:)

GCBla

Apr 12, 2019
Hunter 30T Maple Bay
Thanks guys. It looks like I am just going to have to wing it on the disassembly/reassembly. Justin, thanks for the tip on the Lemar kit. When you did yours did you take any photos as you went along?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I did, but it wasn't necessary. i never had to refer to them.
You'll want to have a pan to rinse parts in. I used mineral spirits to remove the old grease. A brass wire brush to clean the gears. I think the PO used something like lithium grease. Took some effort to clean off.

GCBla

Apr 12, 2019
Hunter 30T Maple Bay
Yesterday I received this servicing information and schematic on the Barient 21-33 and some other winches from Hutton Winches.
Bt 21,22,24 89-st D.JPG
Bt 21,22,24 89-st I.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@GCBla Thank you for the posting. It is something that should be saved in the forum records.