H27 Jib Sheet Rigging

Mar 4, 2017
Hunter 27 Cherubini Seabrook, TX.
Can anyone explain how the sheet rigging for my jib should be set up? Or better, provide pictures?

I have hanked on my 110% jib, and its nicely packed away in the new headsail bag that I bought for it, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to rig the sheets. I have the actual lines, and a bunch of blocks but there is nothing mounted on my deck, and I can't seem to find out where they go or what they attach to.

Here is a photo of my deck.
IMG_1012.JPG

And here is a photo of her under full sail with a previous owner. The jib he has up is a 150% I think.
aquaholic.jpg

And here is the left, and right clutches on my deck. I have a main halyard, and two head sail halyards.

IMG_1062.JPG IMG_1061.JPG

Shouldn't the sheets form a "Y" in front of the mast somehow, so that the jib can go on either side of it?

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I believe the answer to your jib sheets can be seen in the picture with the boat under full sail. The lines should be run outside of the side shrouds and pass through a block attached to your toe rail. If you zoom in you'll see that. Neither port or starboard sheet goes through a clutch. Simply select an appropriate spot on the toe rail, dependent on the size of the sail, attach your sheets to the clew of the sail, run lines outboard of the shrouds, pass lines through the block on both sides, run the line to the winch on port or starboard, and wrap around the cleat behind the winch you select based on your tack. Easy Peasy. Sorry I don't have any pics of the setup on this iPad. If there are no cleats by the winches, I'll assume that the winches are self tailing with top cleat.

Mar 4, 2017
I believe the answer to your jib sheets can be seen in the picture with the boat under full sail. The lines should be run outside of the side shrouds and pass through a block attached to your toe rail. If you zoom in you'll see that.

Ah! I do see that now. And I do have a cleat behind the winches in the cockpit.

So if I tack, I have to take that line completely off of one side, walk it around the mast, and reinsert on the other side?

Nov 30, 2015
You didn't really ask me that question in sincerity...did you? Two lines, lay off the weed, and take some sailing instruction. Ok?

Mar 4, 2017
You didn't really ask me that question in sincerity...did you? Two lines, lay off the weed, and take some sailing instruction. Ok?
Yes I did, because I don't know. There's no block to put it through on the front of the mastAnd I didn't know if it was ok to let it just rub freely on the front of the mast or not.

Nov 30, 2015
Yes I did, because I don't know. There's no block to put it through on the front of the mastAnd I didn't know if it was ok to let it just rub freely on the front of the mast or not.
Ok, got it! My apologies...sincerely! I want to help, not insult, but I haven't discovered much sincere newbie need for advice yet on this forum. I'm with ya bro!

The jib sheets do not come back to blocks at the mast. Two lines, or one continuous line, split between port and starboard sides and attached by soft shackles or bowlines are attached to the clew. There's no need to think they get payed back to the cockpit on the cabin top winches. The two large winches on the coaming in the cockpit are all that you need to trim the headsails. One jib sheet on port, one on starboard side and outside the mast shrouds. You should have at least two single pulley blocks that have an easily removed shackle which clips into any hole along your toe rail. With the Hunters wide beam, you should have no problem locating a hole for any size headsail. Usually, four or five feet beyond the point where the headsail clew terminates for starters. Place and secure the block, run your jib sheets (both sides) through the blocks and verify the upward angle to the winch allows acceptable friction and no bottom side line overlapping while cranking on the winch. Once deployed, the headsail needs no help when tacking, let the wind move the sail from side to side, just carefully drop the taut line off the winch, turn the boat, and wrap the slack line around the opposite winch and take up slack as you turn. Does this help?

Mar 4, 2017
Ok, got it! My apologies...sincerely! I want to help, not insult, but I haven't discovered much sincere newbie need for advice yet on this forum. I'm with ya bro!

Thanks!! I've sailed it two or three times with just the mainsail, and I've finally gotten brave enough to try the jib. And I looked at all kinds of boats online to try and figure it out, but wasn't able to figure it out.

So basically the two, or one, sheet makes a horseshoe from one winch to the other around the mast and outside the shrouds, and you just let out, and pull in slack accordingly. Got it!

And yes that helps tremendously? I'll give it a try on Wednesday when I'm off of work!

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2015
Nice @TooCoys, yes...that's exactly right. Please do share your experience with us. I believe you will find a major improvement in boat handling assuming favorable winds. Got get it buddy!

Edit: By the way, nice looking Hunter...stay in touch.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2017
Edit: By the way, nice looking Hunter...stay in touch.

Thanks! She's got quite a history, as I've been able to uncover by contacting previous owners.

I found this video this morning. At 3:21 it shows exactly what you described!

Thanks for the help! I can't wait to try her under full sail tomorrow on my day off!

Nov 30, 2015
Good Morning, I found this picture on my workstation which shows my 110 jib attachment and sheets running outside the shrouds...and also outside the life line stanchions to the blocks on the toe rail. Have fun tomorrow, take some photos and be sure to share with us. I'm still two weeks away from launching the H30C.

IMG_1072.jpg

Mar 4, 2017
Good Morning, I found this picture on my workstation which shows my 110 jib attachment and sheets running outside the shrouds...and also outside the life line stanchions to the blocks on the toe rail. Have fun tomorrow, take some photos and be sure to share with us. I'm still two weeks away from launching the H30C.
AH HA! That's what those PVC covers on my shrouds are for! They aren't for my safety, they're to keep the lines from getting damaged on the rigging! It's all making sense now

Nov 30, 2015
AH HA! That's what those PVC covers on my shrouds are for! They aren't for my safety, they're to keep the lines from getting damaged on the rigging! It's all making sense now
You gotta love it when a plan comes together. Here's another picture I found which may be a bit clearer.

IMG_1116.jpg

Apr 29, 2016
Hunter 27 Atwood Lake, OH
TooCoys.... Welcome to the Cherubini Hunter clan.

You got some great info from the others.

We were out sailing our 1979 H27 last spring and forgot to put stopper knots in the jib sheets and had one sheet flying all over the place on a windy day. We have plenty of sheet, so we take each side through the cleat near the winch and tie a knot in the end to keep it in the cockpit. We also use snatch blocks at the toe rail so we can move them when reefing the jib. We have a furler so that will place the sheet at the optimum position for the amount of sail flying. We were running a 155% last year and needed to reposition if furled. This year we are running a 135% and like it much better for our sailing conditions.

We did remove the original Lewmar winches and replaced with self tailing. We're on a small lake and tack all the time going up wind so self tailing simply made that less work. Also went to Lewmar 30ST two speed which are great for trimming the jib under load. I'm getting up there in years and like to work smarter not harder.

I like your traveler, we have one setup very similar, tremendous for trimming up the main.

I like BlowMeAway's PVC on the forward shrouds, that's a great idea. I'm running new jib sheets this year, so I'm for sure going to look at doing that.