H260 . . . Which anchor

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
Oh yes, it's me again. Mine only has a Fortress in the anchor locker. Now I class these to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard.:D
I need something that will dig in so I'm thinking plough or spade as in Delta, Bugel types etc. (not CQR)

What's your poison, as in type and weight please?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
A fortress is great in sand (and MUD as pointed out by thinwater) but dicey in most other bottoms.

A Delta or any of the 3rd generation plows will work great. We had a Delta hold us a meter off the mole while med-moored at Thíra with 50 knots on the nose. If it slipped we would have been royally screwed.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
First, the Fortress is an excellent anchor when properly used. In soft mud, it will out hold anything else 4:1 on a pound-for-pound basis. You need to learn to use it.

For general use, if you need an anchor that will fit in a flat anchor locker, Mantus just started making a 13-pound scoop that can be assembled in about 10 seconds (not bolt together). That should be just about right for that boat.

Other than that, just read all of the anchor threads!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
What are you looking for, light, collapsible, general purpose, beach anchor, easy to pull, a storm anchor, a primary or secondary anchor? What are you using for rode, chain, partial chain, short scope, long scope? An H260 is smaller so carrying over-sized on all chain probably isn't what you are doing.
I'm a proponent of having two or more anchors on board and each for different bottoms. I don't have a favorite anchor, I'm not experienced enough with modern ground tackle to say, but the above questions, I think, are still pertinent and may help others give their thoughts.
On my 19' 1500lb mariner, I'm comfortible with a standard Danforth on 12' of chain. My secondary anchor is a fold-away 9 lb grapnel because of my limited space. If I find my anchoring habits become more demanding than beach and fair weather weekends, I'll change.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 21, 2016
san juan 7.7 wabamun
I use a Spade a80 on a San Juan 7.7. Weighs about 15 lbs and sets quick every time. Last summer I anchored next to a friend .he has a Catalina 25, used a Bruce(looked comparable in size to mine)
We had multiple wind changes through the night. In the morning, I was still in the same spot. He was in the middle of the lake.
Get a new Gen anchor, whichever makes you feel safest.
Personally I will stick with Spade. It's worth every penny!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
@thinwater Are you thinking of the Mantus 2.5 lb Stainless dinghy anchor. In talking to them at boatshow last week it was the only one in the line that didn’t bolt or was welded together.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I use a Spade a80 on a San Juan 7.7. Weighs about 15 lbs and sets quick every time. Last summer I anchored next to a friend .he has a Catalina 25, used a Bruce(looked comparable in size to mine)
We had multiple wind changes through the night. In the morning, I was still in the same spot. He was in the middle of the lake.
Get a new Gen anchor, whichever makes you feel safest.
Personally I will stick with Spade. It's worth every penny!
Yeah--but did he know how to anchor in the first place?

Nov 10, 2017
Thank you for the response, there is nothing like an anchor discussion to stir the personal emotions.
My conditions will be mostly weed, weed on sand and/or rock but very rarely mud. My last set up was, forward bowers 65lb CQR and 75lb CQR that I changed for an 80lb Delta type and the stern bower was Alloy Fortress. The only reliable one was the Delta type.
Things have moved on with the design of anchors over the last say 15 years with more choice and improved performance.
With the boat I got 30' of 5/16"or 3/8" chain plus 150' and at least 3/8" but may be 1/2" 3 strand rode. (at the moment 1500 miles from the boat)
Do you sail with the anchor stowed in the bower or locker?

Jul 21, 2016
san juan 7.7 wabamun
King's gambit,,
He spends more time on anchor than I do. So I suspect that, yes, he has an idea as to which part goes in the water and which part ties to the boat.
GBGraham,
I keep my anchor and rode in the cockpit lazzerette. I have no bow roller or windlass. it is also to big for my tiny chain locker. This is the cheapest/easiest fix.
Edit. The Spade also cuts through grass and weed very effectively

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yeah-well, I've known folks who have sailed for years but who did not know the function of a traveler, etc., among other examples. The absolutely most astonishing thing I ever heard was once when sailing upwind in a Club race with a couple on our boat who had been boat owners for more than a decade, and the wife (guest) asked the question: "Why are we sailing in this direction when the mark is over there?" So, you never know.:doh:

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
@thinwater Are you thinking of the Mantus 2.5 lb Stainless dinghy anchor. In talking to them at boatshow last week it was the only one in the line that didn’t bolt or was welded together.
Nope, though I do have a dinghy anchor also. I actually the 2.5-pound model using a 34' catamaran. Quite strong in good sand.

It's not on the web site yet, but I believe they are in early production. Basically the same mechanism.

GB: My last boat (PDQ 32) had a welded Manson Supreme on a roller and all-chain. Very nice. One the F-24 I have a very shallow well and the bowsprit precludes a roller, plus it would be silly on a performance boat. Very little chain. Horses for courses.

Another knock down option is a 12-pound Northill Utility Anchor. You can find these on E-Bay and they make a nice compliment for a 26-foot boat. I have one and have used it on several 24- to 27-foot boats, and have used it on the PDQ 32 as well. A nice multi-purpose anchor with the shortcoming of having an exposed fluke.

I am sorry, but 5/16-inch or 3/8-inch chain on a light 26-foot boat is pointless overkill. 1/4-inch grade 30 will meet the ABYC H-40 Table 1 requirements for a storm anchor, and you could go 1/4-inch G4 if you like overkill. I would go with some 1/4-inch chain plus 7/16-inch rope unless you live in coral country. The cutting force with a 26-foot boat isn't much and 7/16-inch is way oversize (low cutting fore, low tension).

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017
I am looking at a 9kg (20lb) Bugel spade type anchor as my main rode, do you think this is heavy enough for a H260.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
the best priced deal over here for me is the Bugel. The Spade S80 is about £500 delivered:banghead:
Maybe, if someone over here was heading across the 'pond', you could talk them into delivering. :D

- Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I use a 10 kg Rocna with 40' of 1/4" G4 on our Hunter 27. Has treated us well.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Doh, aren't you having a sailing holiday in Greece this year?:biggrin:
I wish. But I'm all booked up anyhow and I don't think Dragonfly would make it across the "pond" with an anchor the size you are looking for.
Maybe next year.

-Will (Dragonfly)