H260 Forestay Length ???

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 260 Great South Bay Long Island NY
Last weekend, while sailing the Great South Bay, Long Island, NY, the Wantagh Parkway Bridge operator closed the bridge early, caught my mast and snapped my Forestay causing my mast to fall. Surprisingly, the damaged seemed minimal and is a great credit to the boat design. The lateral supports on the mast caused the mast to fall straight back. It landed on the Bimini which absorbed most of the impact. Although the Bimini was destroyed the mast seems in good shape. My estimated damage should be only about $2,500, $2,250 for the Bimini and $250 for the Forestay. Not too bad. However, my big problem is getting the exact length of the Forestay. The Hunter manual calls for 29 feet, 11 1/4 inched. I have the broken Forestay and, when pieced together, I am getting a different measurement. I know this measurement is critical as I have been stepping the mast every year for the past sixteen (16) years - the "JoySea" is a 2001 model purchased new from Hunter. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me on the exact length from the tip of the "spoon" fitting for the mast to the end of the threaded fitting for the turnbuckle on the bottom of the Forestay. Crash Dave, I hope you are out there when I,need you now! Also, the turnbuckle end of Forestay has two threaded ends I need the length to the end of the mast side and not the boat side. Many Thanks!!!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Look up Seco South in the Tampa area and ask them if they still have the measurements. They made the rigging. Ask for Jean if she is still there. Generally the info under the latest H260 is pretty much correct noted under boat information

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
Bob,
I had a new forestay made by Sale Care, Inc. at Feb. 2014, paid $96.60 at the time. Here are the measures:
The distance from the top end t-ball to the end of the swaged thread on the cable is 29' 6".
If you add the turnbuckle with 5 1/4" and the jaw it comes to total 29' 11 1/2" as stated in the Hunter 260 manual.
Hope that helps.
Hart

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
wow

So can we hear more about the accident? What did the bridge operator say? Were you able to motor back?

And is your bimi top made of silk? $2,500 seems like a really nice bimi. :)

Jun 3, 2004
Thanks everyone for your information, it will be very helpful. Regarding the accident, the mast, which was eight (8) feet higher then the road bed, caught the last tooth of the bridge road bed. After the mast came down I motored out of the channel and dropped my anchor. By the time my anchor was set, ten minutes latter, the bridge hailed me on the VHF. He appoligize and accepted responsibility, as did his supervisor, who also called me. After giving statements to the Coast Guard and Marine Police I secured the boat and motored back to my slip. Lost about 2 hours and made it back before dark. "Granger" you are right, the Bimini will be about $900 and about $300 for shipping, I figured the total loss will be about $2,500 as I want to get my sails washed and some other small items. Thanks Again Everyone!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
What an adventure..... I'm guessing you got a few new gray hairs over that one.....

Jun 3, 2004
Yes, it was a pretty wild experience but it could have been so much worse. Additionally I was quite proud of the boat and how well it took the accident and also how quickly I was able to recover. I did learn some very important points:
1. Avoid sailing during high traffic times. The accident happened 4:45PM Sunday afternoon. Generally I only sail during the week when I have the bay to myself. I broke my own rule and went out on a Sunday.
2. I must get a cockpit mounted VHF or handheld. My current VHF is in the cabin, to protect it from the elements. Bad idea!

Regards,

Bob Fliegel

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Bob; Above all I am glad no one was hurt. Also the bridge operator accepted responsibility when so many do not.
If you have any questions, PM me

Jun 3, 2004
Thanks for all the information Regular Guy. Even pictures, I will forever be in your debt. I hope some day I can return the favor. Just one question, can I assume that what you received from Sale Care fit well and did not require any modifications? If so, then I can just duplicate your order

Jun 3, 2004
Hi Crazy Dave. Thanks so much for your assistance. I checked out Seco South's web site and I got the impression that they are not into sailing hardware anymore. Regular Guy had a good recommendation and I will go with that idea. I want you to know that I have been following your posts and suggestions for the past thirteen (13) years on this web forum. I guess it's time that I say thank you for all of your support to H260 owners like myself. Many, many thanks!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I am not sure if Jean is still there at seco south but not sure if they kept the records but the latest 260 owners manual was pretty specific and close to being accurate. Bob, anytime I can help, feel free to contact me. Although a thank you is appreciative but not necessary. I am glad to be there for you..

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Hi Crazy Dave. Thanks so much for your assistance. I checked out Seco South's web site and I got the impression that they are not into sailing hardware anymore. Regular Guy had a good recommendation and I will go with that idea. I want you to know that I have been following your posts and suggestions for the past thirteen (13) years on this web forum. I guess it's time that I say thank you for all of your support to H260 owners like myself. Many, many thanks!
+1

Sep 23, 2015
Hunter 260 Lake Jocassee
I was just looking and cannot find Sale Care, Inc. and currently need to order new forestay. Any suggestions on someone with parts and ability to do the rigging for a Hunter 260?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I did not notice it mentioned in the discussion but I think those who added a furler often shortened the forestay to accommodate a tang added to the lower end to prevent the drum from rubbing.

Jan 18, 2014
I installed the CF700 SCHAEFER JIB FURLING SYSTEM. The forestay cable goes all the way through; stock length needed, no shortening.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I installed the CF700 SCHAEFER JIB FURLING SYSTEM. The forestay cable goes all the way through; stock length needed, no shortening.
Unless you need to add the toggles that all furlers require for safe operation.

Jan 18, 2014
Jackdraw, look at the picture further above in one of my replies, there is a toggle on the forestay cable end considered.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jackdraw, look at the picture further above in one of my replies, there is a toggle on the forestay cable end considered.
Not saying there wasn't - indeed that's why I started the sentence with 'Unless'. Its a general statement about forestay length and toggles with furlers.

Jan 18, 2014
Fine, good objection.
I wanted just to make sure that wouldn't cause confusion on the discussed cable length.