H26 Stern Rail Seat Replacement

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I need to replace the stern rail seats on my H26. The PO had changed out the OEM seats (presumably starboard and teak) with some plywood which doesn't seem to be quite the correct dimensions and has also deteriorated. I plan to use 1/2" HDPE (UV stabilized) for this project and would like to integrate some drink holders like I have seen on some pictures. I do not intend to replicate the teak strips since I permanently have seat cushions installed on the seat anyways. I have some questions:
1) I am looking for some clear pictures of seats with integrated cup holders installed on a H26. I've seen cup holders on either the right or left faces of the seats. Are there any preferences with regard to interference with other activities?
2) are there drawings out there for the actual seat dimensions and contours? (I don't have an original piece to work from.)
3) The HDPE sheet that I have has a smooth finish. Any thoughts on how I could add some texture to this to minimize the seat cushions from sliding around? One thought I had was to score the surface with slots similar to the gunwale cupholders on the H26 but would also like to add some texture to the surface as well. I was thinking of experimenting with different sanding techniques.
Any other thoughts or ideas would be welcome.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
Years ago I ordered seats from the factory for my H23.5. For mine, the cup holders protrude to the sides of the boat, and have bashed the other boat when getting close to raft. I've seen other year models and H26's where they are on the inside or stern side. I'd look for that placement in photos, anywhere but sticking out the side.

bmorr

Apr 5, 2009
Hunter 26 Pueblo Lake CO
We have cushions with Velcro strips that wrap around the posts, a good idea from my wife.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I've got Sunsure covered cushions with snaps, it's nice to be able to heel a bit without wrestling with the cockpit cushions.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I bet you can get them here if you call and ask. I have done that sort of thing for other parts and they found what I needed in once instance and had the part made in another. SBO rocks!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Call SBO store and ask for Dave Groshong. If he does not have a good response for you, ask him to ask Al Fooks. Al use to work for Hunter retail before moving over to SBO and now owns SBO. He can be trusted.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
I'm making some progress on my seats. Here is a pic of the starboard seat minus the cup-holder hole. I hope to start fabricating the port one this weekend. On the left you see a MDF prototype which I used for sizing.

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Drops and scraps are often available. Call the boatyards, butt also, the millworks and custom cabinet shops. Teak is not an uncommon wood for custom work outside of the nautical community.
You are likely to get it at cost or less than what the shop paid.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
I'm not planning to add the teak strips as I permanently leave the cushions in place.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Looking good! Really nice job Fred! Be sure to post pic's once installed on the boat.

May 10, 2004
Hunter MH 37 Manitowoc, WI
Placing the cup holders inside will make them less likely to snag other boats and pilings.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Wow Fred... you been busy. Just saw your other post with the bow roller.

Those look fantastic. My wood on my stern rails seats are starting to look tired. Been thinking of using Trex as a replacement.