H26 lexas slide top.

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
I have a H26 with the lexan/plexi type slider hatch..
it has a downward bow and holds water on it (it doesn't shed very well)
also since it is bowed downwards it doesn't want to slide into the forward cavity of the slide far enough so you can lift the pop top. Very hard to get all the way forward....
Anyone know of a way to put an arch or at least make it flat again?
you can't flip it over because of the countersunk holes.

remove the hatch and heat maybe and a little pressure on the outsides ? or is the a really bad idea ?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Mine was exactly the same way
I removed the wooden cross beams and sanded a slight arch in them. I was hoping to get a slight positive arch but in the end I has happy just getting it flat.

Aug 4, 2016
Hunter 26 Kingston
JB,
I suspect the wood not the plex glass. There is three piece that give it stability. I suspect that your wood is cracked and or maybe your screws are loose. I replaced the wood last year with mahogany. Don't forget the third piece that is on the top and inside the companionway hatch.

Good luck

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
On my 23.5as ranger said took of wood arched it and also put small pieces of the fuzzy part of velcro on lip where it slides made world of difference

Jan 19, 2010
On my 23.5as ranger said took of wood arched it and also put small pieces of the fuzzy part of velcro on lip where it slides made world of difference
I’m not understanding the fuzzy part (keep it clean guys).

Can you post a pic?

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Not at boat but not the loop part of velcro the other part,put 3/4 in wide by 2 ft strip on both side of fiberglass under which hatch slides on front to back. get pix monday repost

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Timely post. I had an unusually large amount of water in the boat the other day and suspect it came in through the canopy cover during rain storm. I have (re)waterproofed the cover and plan to remove the wooden rail (top, forward) and install some sealant under the wood (silicone?). While I was at it I was wondering about the sliders. I believe there was previously some type of Teflon tape applied? This proposed fuzzy solution might work. Is it installed on the acrylic or on the fibreglass? Does it retain dirt? How long will it last?

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
On fiberglass ,mine lasted two seasons,just peeled if off, gooped off residulel glue reapplied new.I use the self glued product.Still trying to find use for the extra loop part leftover

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
On a hot day when the sun is beating down, when I first try to slide the hatch open, I can hardly budge it. Really hard to slide. On a cool day, not so much of a problem, but still doesn't slide easy. I haven't noticed pooling of water, but the sliding is really hard. So, are you guys saying the fuzzy side of the velcro stuff will make it slide easier? I was wondering if they sell strips of maybe Teflon that I could stick on there. Still not really sure where it is binding up. Seems like an expansion situation when it's hot, causing more pressure somewhere.

Jan 19, 2010
Hmmm?

Doug:
If you are binding the Velcro might make it worce ... have you tried a silicone lubericant? I wonder if simply waxing the slides with auto wax might help?

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
The binding on mine was that the Lexan had just gotten too wide in the opening. most likely in the extreme heat the lexan just expands and gets winder and binds in the track. This is the second hunter I've had with this problem, hatch slides when cool, but not when it is hot. My solution was I removed the lexan and took a belt sander and removed just a small amount from the width. slides good now. I have also used the soft Velcro side to aid in the sliding.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Hmmm?

Doug:
If you are binding the Velcro might make it worce ... have you tried a silicone lubericant? I wonder if simply waxing the slides with auto wax might help?
I did try using a candle and waxed where it slides - that did help for a while.

Jul 31, 2017
Hunter 26 TBD
i used pure silicone, but that attracts gunk, so now I am using SailKote and it's working pretty well. Mine looks like it should hold a little water too, but i think rocking in the harbor and the sun make it disappear

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
The binding on mine was that the Lexan had just gotten too wide in the opening. most likely in the extreme heat the lexan just expands and gets winder and binds in the track. This is the second hunter I've had with this problem, hatch slides when cool, but not when it is hot. My solution was I removed the lexan and took a belt sander and removed just a small amount from the width. slides good now. I have also used the soft Velcro side to aid in the sliding.
This sounds like a reasonable suggestion. It sure does seem to have something to do with heat and expansion. I guess I never thought about the side to side aspect of the situation. I'll check it out. And considering you've had two boats with the same issue, really sounds like you're on to it.

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
Doug, mine was fairly obvious, just look at your lexan and see if it is touching the vertical fiberglass sides of the hatch opening. Mine was actually wedging itself between the two .

Last edited:

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Doug, mine was fairly obvious, just look at your lexan and see it is touching the vertical fiberglass sides of the hatch opening. Mine was actually wedging itself between the two .
Okay, it's 7am, cool outside. I just checked it, easy to slide. Looks like there is a very slight bit of gap on the sides. Will check it later when it gets hot. I really think this is the problem. Thanks guys! It must have been like that from new - 24 years. Hard to believe nobody fixed it yet! But hey, I've had the boat for a few years now and I haven't fixed it yet either. o_O I better fix it soon before I break something trying to open it when its all jammed up.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I was wasting on a photo to make sure what is going on. Jbreland notes the obvious reporting how to fix.

The other issue if the top of Lexan on the sides being scraped by the hatch; there are two solutions. The first is to grind some of the hatch lid away to clear the top of the lexan. The second solution is to raise the lexan some by screwing a small black rubber/vinyl pad into the drip rail with a lot of caulking so there are no leaks. The small pad is the first thing I would consider.

As for the lexan a lot of elbow grease with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper using water and then compounding will correct the lexan.
I was not sure on this case which is why I asked for the photo. On a safety note please two people when removing that lexan