H25 boarding ladder

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I am looking for a boarding ladder that can be fixed-mounted (not removable), that folds down (not telescoping!), that's all-stainless (7/8" being ideal), that can be deployed by either one in the water or one on deck. It must be very narrow (about 10") and have staggered standoffs to be located very close to the side of the transom, to avoid the outboard. And it needs to have 5 full steps, to enable one who is not a spring chicken any more to get onto it from the water.

The Ocean South one is a little too wide; the Garelick ones are way too spendy, and a custom one would mean even more money. Apparently Norestar have shirked the business of providing inexpensive, NARROW, folding stainless-steel boarding ladders-- which were perfect for the H25 with its IOR transom. Don't get me started on the shortsightedness of vendors who think markets 'dead' (like Forespar did with the Mini-Galley) only to create an absolute vacuum (as in 'it sucks') where their product had stood before!

I did a search via Google and got to about the 9th or 10th screen without finding anything that either would work or was within budget (under $150).

The best I did find was a used one, that I would have to adapt, but at $50.00 it was such a steal that someone else stole it first!

I'll be eager to hear from other people with H25s and other boats who have solved this problem. Thanks to all ahead of time!

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Call Kito in TX and ask him to look in the salvage yard. I'll do the same here.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I don't know if this will fill all of your requirements but the MacGegor M/X 26 ladders seem narrow as all get-out.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Sounds like a custom job. Draw a sketch, fill in the measurements and specs and take it to a machine shop that can build it for you.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Sounds like a custom job. Draw a sketch, fill in the measurements and specs and take it to a machine shop that can build it for you.
Naturally, being an experienced purchasing agent in the boatbuilding trades, I already tried that. NJ-area custom makers want a minimum of $334 for this job.

BTW I started out at age 16 doing design work for Hunter. My sketches tend to be more like pristine mechanical drawings.

Just in case you didn't know that! But thanks for the thought!:waycool:

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Update: one of the people from Norestar responded to my e-mail saying they're 'just out of stock' and quoted a lead time of 3-4 weeks. However, I never heard of a vendor removing an item and all its ilk (every single narrow ladder) from its web site just because of a temporary shortage of inventory. So... we'll see.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I just put that Norestar ladder on my O'day 25. I had bought it a couple of years ago but just got it installed this spring. I think it is a nice ladder. Note on the one I bought the bottom step does telescope up into the rail portion above it. It's narrow but the 5 steps allow it to be mounted with 3 steps below the water line.
Glad to see it available again as couple guys on the forum have asked about it.