H25.5 - replace rope clutches

Aug 26, 2016
Hunter 25.5 Lake Lanier
The (original ?) Easylock handles broke. Rather than trying to replace the handles, I bought a dual Lewmar clutch off ebay. But I've read that on Hunters' (maybe all?) there could be a metal 'backing' plate that I'd have to drill through. Does anyone know if that is the case? Also, any tips on installing these? (I'd like to switch to the Lewmar if at all possible).

Thanks!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If you do not see washers or nuts on the inside and you can remove the bolts by unscrewing them from top on the deck, then you can assume there is an aluminum plate encapsulated in the fiberglass. I would ask that you check inside. Are there any plates that are removable inside? How about a picture of the interior where the clutch is attached topside and so forth. Also identify the exact year of the boat to make sure which boat we are dealing with.

Aug 26, 2016
Hunter 25.5 Lake Lanier
This actually was much easier than I thought it would be. I bought a Dewalt 1/4" tap set (http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-7-Drill-and-1-4-in-x-20-NC-Tap-Set-DWA1410/204787226) and was able to drill out 4 holes and then thread them. I think there was about 1/4" of fiberglass and then the aluminum plate. The top and sides of the interior have the shiny plastic stuff, so I could determine if the plate was embedded or on the bottom side. I used 1/4" x 1.25" stainless steel screws to fasten the clutch to the deck. Attached picture shows original Easylock still in place and 2 of the 4 holes completed (using the template). Drill bit to the right of the template is the "tap". Once I remove the Easylock and clean up the area it will look fairly decent.

Thanks.

Attachments

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
My only question with drilling new holes- Is that what the factory did, drill and tap an aluminum plate? Or is it an aluminum plate with blind nuts of some sort attached? If its just an aluminum plate, say 1/8" thick, thats not a lot of threads to grip onto for the new clutch. But, if thats all the factory did, then I guess its ok. If the original used blind nuts, I would not think just tapping the plate would be sufficient. Also, its very easy to over torque aluminum, so be careful.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The 23.5 has the same set up with encapsulate aluminum plates in the fiberglass which is the same for the other boat.

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
The 23.5 has the same set up with encapsulate aluminum plates in the fiberglass which is the same for the other boat.
Probably one for you CD, I want to fit a second rope clutch to the Stb side of the coach roof on the 260. Does the encapsulated plate still apply? Thank you in anticipation.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
take a picture of that deck so I can make sure but generally yes. I would fist take the new unit placing it side by side marking the holes. Then I woul drill with a small drill bit to determine if there is any metal shavings coming out from the furthest point and then you are good to go. Picture first to make sure. Then I would drill and tap and use caulk.

Nov 10, 2017
take a picture of that deck so I can make sure but generally yes. I would fist take the new unit placing it side by side marking the holes. Then I woul drill with a small drill bit to determine if there is any metal shavings coming out from the furthest point and then you are good to go. Picture first to make sure. Then I would drill and tap and use caulk.
Here you go CD, hope it's what you wanted?

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You are good to go but do drill a pilot hole first with a small drill bit in the fartherst hole and remember to drill and tap. do not use 5200 but rather a butyl tape or 4200 or any good sealant. Please no bubble gum as I have seen that used a time or two.

Nov 10, 2017