H240 B&R rig diagonal contacts lower shroud question?

2bysea

May 26, 2010
hunter 33 trailor
On my recently purchased 1999 H240,,, the lower diagonal actually 'was rigged' to lay against the lower shroud. My A/C maintenance experience tells me this is not a good situation. I found that by moving that diagonal,,,clearance was provided at the stay. Granted, these 'cable' stays and diagonals are 'mostly static', but I can see where movement could cause wear.
I had a 2008 H33 that also was a B&R rig and had the same configuration where diagonals were in contact as well.
The owners manual shows the config. but fails to show whether it's fwd or aft of the lower diagonal.
I thought I would check to see here in the owners group before proceeding futher. TY

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Congrats on the 240! On mine, the lower diagonal (RD1 in the attached diagram) is close to the lower shroud, but not touching. But on my boat I have the lower shroud (D1) on the aft U-bolt, and the upper shroud (V1, attached to the spreader) on the forward U-bolt. This is because, for whatever reason, my lower shrouds are too long to attach to the forward U-bolt and tension properly. This reversal does not seems to matter since the U-bolts are so close anyway.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Send me a private message with phone number and location. As a former dealer ran across this before. I have questions and need to know which way to advise.
Dave

2bysea

May 26, 2010
hunter 33 trailor
Thanks for the info, I moved Rd1 aft of the shroud to provide clearance between Rd1. The as bought config was fwd of the shroud and in contact with the shroud. Thanks for the reply

2bysea

May 26, 2010
hunter 33 trailor
I'm going to look at the rigging closer. By loosening the RD1's on both sides and re positioning them aft of the lower shroud there is clearance now. I'll contact you at a later time. Thank you for the reply.

2bysea

May 26, 2010
hunter 33 trailor
I'm thinking the RD1 being aft of the shroud is correct. I don't know why mine was reversed and the cables in contact. As I said I just took possession of the boat within the last month. Thanks much for the help

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Correct. Advised other dealers on the set up
and thank you @caverun for responding. I use to add shroud covers to those reverse diagonals as a precautionarye item just in the event tuning was not done correctly.

2bysea

May 26, 2010
hunter 33 trailor
Thanks everyone for the help on this B&R diagonal rigging question. I hope this thread is useful to others with the same issue.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Interesting. On our h36 with B&R, the RD1 is also aft of D1, by 1/8 to 1/4” only. I just noticed this afternoon after a go fast day in pretty big wind with new sails, the RD1 is now against D1. Actually, I’m not sure when it happened. Was ok last fall for winter lay up. I was going to get a rigger out who knows B&R rigs. I’m thinking the cap shrouds (v1 - v3) need a little more tension. The Selden Mast tips and tricks book, pg 53 has rigging and tuning info. It’s about 9mb and I think it’s too large to post here.
Dan

2bysea

May 26, 2010
hunter 33 trailor
Thanks for the post and info on the booklet. I downloaded it and will read that for tuning my mast.