Registered users don't see ads

H235 Lee Helm

Discussion in 'Smaller Boats' started by mmhamer, Aug 14, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

Tags:
  1. mmhamer

mmhamer

Joined Jun 8, 2014
    23 posts, 2 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Lake MaBride
    I noticed this weekend that the helm on my H23.5 is neutral or slowly dives downwind (lee helm) if I let go of the tiller. I know that the boat slowly turning into the wind (weather helm) is best. I’ve confirmed the centerboard is fully down. Should the mast be racked aft? Any thoughts on what changes I should make to correct this problem would be appreciated?

2. Bill Roosa

Bill Roosa

Joined Jun 6, 2006
    6,823 posts, 97 likes
    Hunter 40.5
    US Harrington Harbor North, MD
    Fore and mainsail balance. Power up the main or power down the jib (or both). 3 degrees of weather helm is considered best as it makes both the keel and rudder resist side slip without introducing too much drag

3. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,100 posts, 178 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    Besides manipulating the sail trim, as Bill recommends, you can experiment with crew position for ballast changes.... allowing the boat to heel a bit will remove most lee helm.

After you determine that you can't trim the lee helm out... adjust the mast rake aft a few inches. Measure it with a ruler at the base and your mainsail halyard as a plumb bob.

If you find yourself changing the mast rake on a regular basis, in response to various conditions... it may be advantageous to switch out the slow, inaccurate turnbuckles to quick change pin hole stay adjusters.

4. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,562 posts, 310 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    Take a line and hoist it up on the main halyard on a non windy day or attach a heavy weight to the mainsheet and hoist that up to a point parallel with the goose neck. Then measure how far from the line to the back of the mast and report back your findings.

5. Barnacle Bill

Barnacle Bill

Joined Jun 9, 2008
    1,453 posts, 15 likes
    - --
    US -Bayfield
    You should probably rake the mast aft a bit, which increases weather helm.

6. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,562 posts, 310 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    Barnacle Bill; Concur with your thoughts but will depend on what is measured and the original poster measures and get back with us as to what he measures as requested by me.

7. GGordonWoody

GGordonWoody

Joined Jun 28, 2016
    292 posts, 61 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Lake Wallenpaupack, PA Paupack, PA
    Good to know. We've sort of noticed this as well. This year we ran out of time at the ramp I didn't get a chance to check it. Thanks for posting.

8. mmhamer

mmhamer

Joined Jun 8, 2014
    23 posts, 2 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Lake MaBride
    With the boat in the water, floating on it's line, that measurement is 2".

9. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,562 posts, 310 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    minimal rake. If the mast is up can you take and post a photo sideways so we can see any curvature in the mast as well.

10. mmhamer

mmhamer

Joined Jun 8, 2014
    23 posts, 2 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Lake MaBride
    The Lee Helm seems to be only during light air, up wind sailing.
    If the wind is up, I don't notice it.

11. mm2347

mm2347

Joined Oct 21, 2008
    150 posts, 8 likes
    oday 222
    US niagara
    My Oday 222 (center board that "swings" down) will also have some lee helm in light air. It helps to make slight adjustments to the center board and to try to heel the boat by adjusting load and by adjusting sail trim. Play with adding power to main sail and mabe even reducing power to jib by adding a little twist .

Legend-era interior teak oil
Hunter's original interior teak finish on many boats from the 90's and earlier.
Hunter faucets and parts
Replacement fixtures, hoses, sprayers, washers, and more.
Hunter prop struts and shafts
Everything you need for your power train