H23 transom reinforcement Q

ryan_s

Apr 2, 2018
Hunter 23 Panama City, FL
Hello all,
I’ve been stalking this forum for a couple years now and love the wealth of info.

Quick question for the more experienced though, I’m wondering if I’ve sufficiently reinforced the transom?
I’m considering adding an aluminum back plate horizontally across the interior near the top of the transom for adding strength. Thoughts?

Thanks again!

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
It is probably okay but if you already have the plate, might as well be on the safe side.

Rob

ryan_s

Apr 2, 2018
Rob,
Thank you for the input and the I am only missing the thru bolts and nuts (couple bucks at the hardware store). Just wanted some reassurance that it looked good and wouldn't fall off...:wahwah:

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Backing plates are used to distribute the load. Never put a motor exceeding 10 hp on the transom. You will not go any faster and it is a standard mfg design for motors up to 10 hp only. J

ryan_s

Apr 2, 2018
I plan to put a smaller motor on when I save up enough cash (the 15 was the only long shaft that we could find in our area). I don't expect I'll use much over 1/2 throttle, more concerned about weight. I've seen some others that have beefed up the transom and I'd like to do the same.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I would recommend butyl rubber to seal the holes, as you don't want an adhesive or you'll never get the mount off. It stays sticky, fills gaps well and can be peeled off.
With a motor that heavy (150 lbs?) I'd watch how much the fiberglass transom flexes as you use it. I have a Honda 8 that is about 80 lbs and that is about as big as I'd ever want.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
I guess the real question is do you need it? Is the current transom flexing with the motor mounted on it? DO you have an signs of stress or delamination around the existing mounting holes? It probably won't hurt anything to add the additional backing plate and I would consider adding backing plates to the other sets of screws for that mount.

However, if you don't have any stress cracks or flexing the question then becomes is this on your top 10 list of items to fix on the boat?

Have fun,

Victor

ryan_s

Apr 2, 2018
Peter and Victor thanks for the feedback. The 15 evinrude is the same as the 9.9, just different carb and some other features. I think it weights in around the mid 80s and feels like it too. Do you have the original motor mount still installed on your boat with your Honda 8?
As of now it's not major on the list, just a concern having little experience with fiberglass. So far no flex or cracking but this season will be the first time with it on for extended length and I may end up adding the extra plate after I finish up several other projects....lol.

Thanks again!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
.... just a concern having little experience with fiberglass. So far no flex or cracking but this season will be the first time with it on for extended length ..
You are more likely to stress load your transom while trailering than while sailing. Before you hit the road...take a ratchet tie down strap (extra long) and loop it around your two winches and back around the outboard. Then cinch up the ratchet until the outboard's weight is being carried by the winches. This will save your transom during the road trip. I have always done this on my trailer sailboats. You can also use a long rope if you don't have a ratchet strap handy and use the winch and winch handle to cinch it up... then run the line to a cleat.

Then fogetaboutit and go sailing....:thumbup:

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Mine has an older style motor mount that swings up and down. It came that way when I bought it from the original owner. I assume he had it added as an upgrade.

Last edited:

ryan_s

Apr 2, 2018
Rgranger.....I really like that idea and hadn’t thought to do that, I have something similar but it’s all hooked to the transom still albeit higher on the bracket...I’ll give your recommendation a try tomorrow when I take her to the boat ramp.
And sounds like we are are in the same boat, isaksp00, my father in law “lended” us the current motor mount from an older boat and insisted on copious amounts of SS, aluminum, and 4200....so it shouldn’t detach without the majority of the transom lol