H23 experience(s) launching with a crane

Sep 22, 2017
Macgregor, Hunter 26S, 23 Wing Keel SF Bay
Nearly ready to splash my (new to me) revived H23. Looking through this forum I note the retrieval problems (as well as launching) associated with this model. I know when I bought the H23 it took some doing to get the boat moved forward on the trailer enough to have postitive tongue weight.

My question is: has anyone successfully launched and retrieved this boat with a crane? I have access to a crane at my sailing club and have launched many different boats. There are always some problems the first time with weight distribution and harness adjustments depending on the boat. For years I dry sailed a series of boats in the weekend races so have a lot of confidence in getting the boat into the water and then back onto the trailer efficiently.

I know people use two huge fabric straps to retrieve their 5.5s, Etchells, etc. This is problematic, especially getting the straps on the floating boat in such a way they do not become pinned between the trailer and the retrieved boat.

I always make up a dedicated bridle for the specific boat. I attach a lifting eye to the keel bolt and adjust tension fore and aft and side to side from this single lifting point. As this is what I know best, I am seeking advice from experienced sailors who know which keel bolt is the best bet for initiating the trial and error process of getting all the physics of to line up for a successful splash and retrieval. On one boat I had to cut an access port in the doghouse to get the proper alignment. In the interest of getting the boat back on the trailer and balanced for the highway, without resorting to come-alongs and multiple efforts to position a floating boat on a stationary trailer, who has some first hand advice on crane launching an H23? Specifically: which keel bolt do you use?Thanks for your insight.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
One thought is to loosen the bolts holding the bunks. Let the bunks drop just enough to allow the straps to go between. Probably a good idea to put supports to keep the boat from tilting once the bunks are lowered.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
One thought is to loosen the bolts holding the bunks. Let the bunks drop just enough to allow the straps to go between. Probably a good idea to put supports to keep the boat from tilting once the bunks are lowered.
Oops. This doesn’t answer your real question. My bad.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There are many issues using a crane where you do not have experience. First a better description of the equipment with photos of the area and equipment, straps, weight limits, how far you can boom out safely, experience of the crane operator, insurance stipulations and so forth. Are the straps coming from the crane or from a rectangular frame? Do you intend to tie the straps together? Until these answers come along with photos I would be cautious going that route.
If you are launching, Kermit hit on something I use to do on the 23 trailer was to lower the rear bunk board supports only as it made it easier to launch and retrieve. Is your trailer a KWS or Ken’s Welding. Mfg owner is deceased

I use to as a dealer launched many boats of various sizes over bulk heads and bridges. Unless you or the person are experienced I would not suggest that route

Sep 22, 2017
As I mentioned in my original post I have been doing this for many years with probably six different boats. As also mentioned, I do not want to use straps. Which keel bolt is closest to the center of gravity on the H23?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Seems like you’re the only one with his kind of experience. Maybe you can figure it out and tell us. Good luck!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As the dealer who sold the largest amount of 23’s , I concur with Kermit that I would not suggest lifts from the keel bolts in this case. I have explained about lowering only the rear bunk supports on the trailer which helped.

As for moving the boat forward on the trailer, much has been discussed in these forums if you look at the archives but simply pull forward with the tow vehicle and brake each time tightening the winch strap until the bow of the boat is snug up against the winch stand.

No more from on this issue

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
If you pick up the boat on straps, get it level & drop a plumb bob from the hook on the crane, you should be able to find the center of mass. That will indicate where you want to attach a lift eye.

If you have movable ballast of any kind in the boat (fuel, water, gear, etc), then the center of mass may be in a different place on different days. In this case, you may want to bolt in a piece of angle iron with several lift point holes, so that you can select a different lift point when needed. Alternately, a lift rail like that could also be used temporarily to experimentally locate the center of mass.

I don't know about the H23 in particular, but on some boats, if you lift from a point that is too low, then the load becomes top heavy & unstable. This is not the case with most keelboats, but it is something to keep in mind when you use a new lift point for the first time. When lifting from a keel eye, I sometimes rig steady lines at deck level from the main lift strap to surrounding stays or deck cleats.

Even with a tightly regulated design, like a J-24, each individual boat will lift a little differently, even though the lift strap is connected to the keel eye in the same position on all the boats. Some J-24s require that you tie the lift line back towards the stern. Some let you get away with just a little padding between the lift strap & the forward edge of the hatch. Others you can just lift straight up. Individual boats do vary.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
we used to do exactly this with Rhodes 19s and Cal 20s. I do not think we used a single point of lift though. It seems to me we used a bridle and two keel bolts

Sep 22, 2017
I always make up a dedicated bridle using the winches and bow and stern cleats to stabilize side to side and fore and aft. And yes, your J24 will vary. Some need an ice chest full of water on the stern while another requires the outboard in the nose. Initially I will be putting the H23 in the water with the mast down. The crane will also be used to step the mast as it will be the first time for me. That is a very substantial spar on the H23. I will have to readjust the bridle for haul out.

Trial and error works ok when the boat is on the water. Lift and set it down as needed. Lifting on the trailer can be problematic the first time. If the lifting point is off it may become difficult to set the boat back on the bunks for a change of plan. Just speaking from experience; the kind you get after you need it.