H23 Bluewater Ability

Aug 30, 2016
Hunter 23 Tyler
Not gonna lie here:
We love going offshore, and I wanted to get an honest opinion of a long daysail (maybe 10 miles). Of course, I will be mindful of forecasts and such. I'm an offshore kayaker, so I'm familiar with small craft necessities and precautions.

Are we ok? Having my family is a different situation. I'm very cautious of checking thru-hulls and such, and will be very well schooled by the time we plan to pursue anything.

Anyway, I'd love to hear thoughts on something like this.

sdstef

Jan 31, 2013
Hunter 28 Branched Oak Lake
Work with the weather, have a vhf and all the necessary safety gear and you will be fine. I sailed a 1969 Venture 21 from Dana Point to Avalon several times. Never had any issues.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Check gear and weather and go and enjoy.. I've sailed a Spirit 23 across Pontchartrain and out to the Mississippi Gulf Islands in the past..

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
The cockpit drain is below the waterline. Make darn sure that hose is up to snuff and tight. (My only blue water experience has been on a cruise ship.)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Volkswatson
Did not realize you are new but welcome to the forum... You will find many of us will help you and suggest that you go to boat information, select Hunter, select the model and in this case 23 and navigate thru there and you will glean a lot. In a pinch many will help you to include myself from the perspective as a dealer who sold, worked on them and sailed the 23. Do you have the wing keel version or one of the first ones with a swing keel with winglets on it.
Crazy Dave.
Weather is always the key and suggest that everyone wears a life jacket going off shore. On the engine use only ethanol free gas to avoid a lot of headaches.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Check out the Texas 200. http://www.texas200.com/

Their route: http://www.texas200.com/Route.html
Taken from the FAQ page of the Texas 200 Web site said:
What types of boats are allowed to participate in the Texas 200?
• Any and all boats are welcome to participate in this event. It is a cruise-in-company, not a formal regatta or race, and we’d love to cruise with you in whatever vessel you decide is best for you. That being said, the event is primarily intended for small sailboats. Sailboats as small as 8 feet in length have completed the event, as have 30-footers. Most are in the 14 to 18 foot range. A few powerboats have completed the event over the years, and one gentleman even successfully rowed the entire event in 2015. Yes, he rowed 200 miles. No kidding.
I hope to trailer Dragonfly to Texas to participate. A few Mariner 19s join every year.

They have an active forum that looks like it has switched to Facebook for the off-season

(My only blue water experience has been on a cruise ship.)

Have fun.
-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 30, 2016
Hunter 23 Tyler
@Volkswatson
Did not realize you are new but welcome to the forum... You will find many of us will help you and suggest that you go to boat information, select Hunter, select the model and in this case 23 and navigate thru there and you will glean a lot. In a pinch many will help you to include myself from the perspective as a dealer who sold, worked on them and sailed the 23. Do you have the wing keel version or one of the first ones with a swing keel with winglets on it.
Crazy Dave.
Weather is always the key and suggest that everyone wears a life jacket going off shore. On the engine use only ethanol free gas to avoid a lot of headaches.
Hey Dave,
I have the fixed wing keel. Thanks for the info on the gas --I'm going to write that on my can!

Aug 30, 2016
Hunter 23 Tyler
Hey Will, I actually joined the T200 FB group recently and am thinking about doing that this summer! Looks like fun. From what I saw on YouTube, I might be one of the bigger boats in the mix... Those ducks are really neat though!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've had a V22 25 miles from shore.... You have the right idea.... Prepare and then have fun.
  1. eye on the weather,
  2. comfortable life jackets....so you will actually wear them.. preferably ones with a harness.
  3. learn how to reef and how to do it fast...
  4. practice hove-to many times. Each boat is a little different...
  5. Don't fall off... set up a jack lines and connect them to the harness
  6. make sure the other people can sail well enough to come back and pick you up when you fall off :) ..