Registered users don't see ads

H23.5 transducer placement and install

Discussion in 'Smaller Boats' started by Chris Flanagan, May 21, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. JimInPB

JimInPB

Joined Aug 22, 2017
    699 posts, 199 likes
    Hunter 212 & 170
    us West Palm Beach
    My hunter had an epoxy bedded transducer when I bought it. The transducer failed, probably from overheating. It was hot to the touch when I checked it. Removing the mass amount of epoxy seemed like a daunting & risky task, so instead, I fabricated a clamp-on bracket out of Star Board & attached the new transducer to my transom.

This was originally intended as a temporary solution, but it works well enough that it may become permanent.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Chris Flanagan likes this.
  2. ronkS2

ronkS2

Joined Aug 22, 2017
    19 posts, 4 likes
    Hunter 240
    US South Florida
    Throwing in my two cents worth partly as a question. I have a 24 Hunter and I have set my thru hull transducer up under the front V berth. It is in the middle of the boat before the keel so barring not putting the boat up on plane I am assuming that will be the cleanest water with regards to turbulence. Have not epoxied it in, so no harm no foul. Has anyone ever tried this location? I hope to get out this weekend and will report back.

Ron

3. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    6,252 posts, 456 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    I will answer that question. Under the V berth, absoulutely no due to curvature and it will be intermittment .. The logical is under the rear berth near the bilge based on knowledge of design and having sold nearly a quarter of the production line.

4. ronkS2

ronkS2

Joined Aug 22, 2017
    19 posts, 4 likes
    Hunter 240
    US South Florida
    Thanks Dave. Where no one else had posts about it I figured there must be a reason.