H23.5 Jib Genoa Question

Jan 13, 2017
Hunter 23.5 Panama City, Florida
Awhile back I posted here about my woes with a 135% genoa the previous owner purchased that over powered/overstressed the standing rigging. I've since fixed the rigging ussue but still have the 135% genoa installed. My question is about my temporary fix until I can save to purchase a standard size furling jib. We currently limit the area of our headsail by simply tying a knot in the halyard so that it will not extend all the way out. Is this acceptable? We've sailed a couple times now using this method and it seemed to work okay but should I be concerned about the shape of the headsail? Unfortunately, the main and Genoa were nearly new when I purchased the boat.

Sep 9, 2014
Hunter 26.5 26.5 North Bay
I have a hunter 26.5 that has a similar rig to the 23.5. As I race I had to add a 155 genny. It works fine up to 15 knots. I wondering why the 135 is too big. Are you able to pull the clew in tight so that the sail almost touches the spreader?
In addition as crispy says you should be able to furl the sail if the wind gets to high?

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I think I have a 135 on my 23.5. Same as you, that way when I got it. Standard furl is slightly reefed. Its nice to have all the sail for the right winds. Without a jib car you cant always get the right trim. But Im in it for the relaxation on weekends, so no sweat.

In your first post you said the jib was over stressing the rigging. What do you mean by that?

Hunter full sail.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Sailorjohnca
Your mast is much different as to specs plus it has a backstay. The 23.5 has no backstay so please do not confuse your mast with that of the 23.5. The specs, no backstay, mfg of mast, water ballast vs. keel and so forth are much different from the 26.5 which was built long before the 23.5 which I was involved with the design and introduced the boat.

The 23.5 was initially supplied with a 110 jib as most would say but is a genoa as it comes back past the mast but does not interfere with the shrouds. Anything larger requiring the sheet lines going to the outside of the shrouds is not practicle . Also the 23.5 has no backstay plus it has a larger than standard mainsail. Some suggested with the supplied sails, you might say it is equal to a standard mainsail with a 130 to 140 genoa. @CrispyCringle If your sheet lines are in board of the shrouds with that roller furler, then you have a 110 jib

Sep 9, 2014
Hunter 26.5 26.5 North Bay
Sorry Dave
I was confusing this with the hunter 23 wing keel, which seems very similar to the 26.5.
The photo tells the tail for sure

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Even the 23 is different from the 26.5. Sold and sailed both. More familiar with the 23 .
Your mast is keyon Isomat long gone but parts available thru Rig Rite and other parts for your boat available thru the forum store as the new owner use to do retail sales for Hunter long ago and use to work and build the boats as well. The forum store personel are great to know and go the distance to help when others don't. We are here to help you sir.

Jan 13, 2017
Hunter 23.5 Panama City, Florida
0617171145_HDR_resized.jpg
I'm not certain it was the furling genoa or tuning by the PO that stressed the system. Somewhere in here I post pictures of the bend where the stays attached to the seam. Anyway there was a bend or "wowee" in the structure so I had a longer piece of stainless steel made for extra support. If I can't find the pictures here, I'll repost in this thread. Above is a picture of the sheet rigging for the genoa (also added by PO.) the lines are outside the stays.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You will need to post photos as I am not clear as to what your are saying. How about some side views along with this so called part added. In addition are your jib sheets run inward of the shrouds or between the shrouds and mast. Maybe one photo with the sail fully deployed would help me figure out better what you really have.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Sounds like the stays are just not tuned properly. When you say "Wowee", I take that to mean a S curve to the mast shape. That can easily be tuned out back to straight.

And thanks CD for setting me straight on my jib. I guess I have a standard 110 size jib. A jib much larger would seem a bit over powered IMO, on the 23.5 size boat. OP, just sail it partially reefed, unless the winds are right for it. I dont think it will over stress the mast. But I do think, by what the OP says, that the mast tune is wrong. Its not a hard fix.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I wonder if he is talking about bent turnbuckle studs (shrouds) and they are bent during the mast raising if you do not carefully watch out.

Just posted instructions on mast raising and posted them on all the Hunters that came with the supplied mast raise gear. Any suggestions, I will rewrite them. They are intended as suggestions.