H23.5 Centerboard parts

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
You can do it. There is a ton of help on this forum. Or find a boat yard with a lift. It’s the only “hard” maintenance on these boats.

Ive got a boat lift lined up for this Saturday to change out the up haul. I havnt really worked on boats that much. Been a car guy all my life. But you have to start someplace.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego
Thanks for the encouragement. Just called the marine center in Oceanside harbor and they charge $270 to lift it off and put it back on. And $120 per hour labor. So, maybe I can get it fixed for less than $500. Otherwise, its a great boat.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Well, changing out the keel uphaul line will have to wait till next fall for me. It was preventive maintenance anyway. One of the lift wenches at the boat yard broke earlier in the week. But I did get a half dozen other needed maintenance items done. Ill be putting her in for the summer in just a matter of hours. And its a beautiful day today. Psyched!!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Make sure uphsul line is 7/16 line only. If difficulty taking out the housing wiggle it sideways. Messenger line needs to be attached to old line to pull back new line. Also mark holes where pins come out of due to other holes. When reinserting the pins apply duck tape on housing over holes on cb housing. Be safe and if you have any questions feel free to pm me on Monday

Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego
Took her out today expecting a great sail with kids and grandkids. But spent the whole day fixing unforeseen problems. Murphy's law was in fourth gear. Gin pole broke so heaved up the mast by hand. Fuel line broke, motor wouldn't start, centerboard got stuck on trailer causing boat to misalign, etc. I think this boat I just got is jinxed! Oh well, se still made the best of it despite the fact we never got under sail.

Jan 13, 2017
Hunter 23.5 Panama City, Florida
I ordered all new parts from the SBO store. The centerboard pivot pin bushing (delrin) seems to have a lot of clearance. Is this normal? If anyone is interested, I'll mic the pin, bushing, mounting plate holes, and note the clearances. I'll have pictures soon. I finally brought the boat to a local lake and floated it above the trailer at the launch to allow enough clearance to bring the centerboard down and out from under the boat. used snorkeling mask to work underwater. I believe I may have found the reason the centerboard was so difficult to retrieve -- delamination at the steel plate. Funny how delamination sounds so much like damnation. Anyway, the corroding steel swelled and created a split along the trailing edge. Dave, any suggestions or preferences on filler material? I'll follow up soon with pictures. and I'll be giving Dave a call soon.

Jan 13, 2017
Hunter 23.5 Panama City, Florida
Here's some photos of the centerboard and damage. I'm sure it's reparable but what kind of fill will I need. I've been told to use everything from regular car bondo to structural filler from West Marine. I'm kind of partial to the structural filler myself. I've yet to grind away the damage but will get to that soon.

Attachments

Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego
The boat has to come up off the trailer, due to the location of where the uphaul line attaches to the keel. Here is a link to the defacto keel up-haul replacement thread: Hunter 260 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

But I see you have a 24. Im not certain what the differences are. The 23.5 and the 26 are pretty much the same set up.
Thank you so much. I am finally going to replace the cb uphaul line now. Thanks for the excellent written procedure - well done! Another question, should I buy the other parts to replace them too - the roller, cb pin and other accessories. Did you replace anything else besides the up haul line?

Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego
I Just completed an overhaul of the centerboard and mechanism, it was worn so stainless steel rods were replaced by the local welding shop at a cost of $5.00! You need to raise up the hull to remove the centerboard, I used short jackstands at the stern and placed 6x6 on the front of the bunks to obtain clearance, leaving the hull supported by the trailer. There is one 1&1/8" bolt holding in the mechanism and centerboard in, it's a two man job to remove and replace the unit. The roller is the same as used on an anchor roller bowsprit sold at West Marine, I believe.
Thanks so much! I am finally going to replace the cb uphaul line. Did you replace any other cb parts? Should I order the pin, roller or other parts?

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I Just completed an overhaul of the centerboard and mechanism, it was worn so stainless steel rods were replaced by the local welding shop at a cost of $5.00! You need to raise up the hull to remove the centerboard, I used short jackstands at the stern and placed 6x6 on the front of the bunks to obtain clearance, leaving the hull supported by the trailer. There is one 1&1/8" bolt holding in the mechanism and centerboard in, it's a two man job to remove and replace the unit. The roller is the same as used on an anchor roller bowsprit sold at West Marine, I believe.
Hey Crazy Dave, do you think this method would work for a 26? I sure would like to save the expense of paying a yard for a lift and boat stands, then have to hurry to get the job done. Would be nice to do it at home on the trailer taking my time.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I am concerned when I read a 2x6 board is placed on two stands to hold up a boat. As a former investigator and sailboat dealer, that is unsafe which I cannot recommend. I would suggest raising the boat off the trailer using a lift. Under 260 mods is one way to replace line but under 26 downloads is an excellent article by @rgranger changing out the centerboard line on a 26 and 260 as the mechanisms are the same. I was assisting.

You may save a buck or two but to me limb and life are more important. I have seen too much injury and death in my life