H23.5 and towing capacity

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I hope that is just a poor attempt at humour! Brakes when a trailer is trying to pass you is a bad choice.
The momentum makes the trailer swing side to side since it can't go forward thru the vehicle. Brakes just causes it to whip even harder the other way.
That is not consistent with my experience. TRAILER brakes pull the rig back straight. Truck brakes make the rig jack-knife if the rig is already swaying or side loaded. That is why brake controllers have the override button on them. It is there so that you can apply trailer brakes without applying truck brakes.

The side to side motion issue is often caused or made worse by improper weight distribution. The complex explanation involves discussions of harmonic dampening & gyroscopic stability. The easy answer is to keep the mass in the trailer centered, a little forward of the axle center & keep as much of the mass as possible away from the outer reaches of the trailer.

Apr 5, 2018
Catalina Capri 25 Jackson
That is not consistent with my experience. TRAILER brakes pull the rig back straight. Truck brakes make the rig jack-knife if the rig is already swaying or side loaded. That is why brake controllers have the override button on them. It is there so that you can apply trailer brakes without applying truck brakes.

The side to side motion issue is often caused or made worse by improper weight distribution. The complex explanation involves discussions of harmonic dampening & gyroscopic stability. The easy answer is to keep the mass in the trailer centered, a little forward of the axle center & keep as much of the mass as possible away from the outer reaches of the trailer.
x2 on this. If the trailer starts to sway side to side and get away for you, you have to get off the brakes of the tow vehicle, and apply the trailer brakes manually to slow the trailer down and pull it back. Hitting the truck brakes will only cause the trailer to try to run you over more

Jul 21, 2016
san juan 7.7 wabamun
x2 on this. If the trailer starts to sway side to side and get away for you, you have to get off the brakes of the tow vehicle, and apply the trailer brakes manually to slow the trailer down and pull it back. Hitting the truck brakes will only cause the trailer to try to run you over more
There are 2 ways to fix it. Slow the trailer or speed up the vehicle. Both result in the vehicle having more momentum than the trailer. Most people don't react calmly enough to use only the trailer brakes, and sparingly enough to prevent an over reaction.
What I was trying to say though is why put yourself in this position. Have a vehicle capable of towing the weight you need.
If you absolutely must tow over weight, go slow! Don't let the trailer build that momentum in he first place.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The original description was a Hunter 23.5 on a trailer designed for that boat so weight on that trailer is not an issue so let’s stay on point. One question I asked and not answered does the trailer have brakes. If yes the surge brakes will engage if maintained and actually help to slow down the tow vehicle. Where a boat trailer does not have brakes more caution is urged on braking. One or more causes can cause the trailer to sway and the proper safe way to break is to pull the sway out and then gently brake slowly coming to a stop. I helped to design that trailer

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
I have and appointment made to upgrade my tow package as recommended. Thanks for all the help!
Chris, I towed my H240 for years with a 4 cyl. Toyota Tacoma that was also rated for 3,500 lbs. It had a class IV hitch, bolted to the frame and a ball rated for 5,000 lbs, IIRC. If your guys set you up that way, you should have no problems whatsoever with the Escape. Enjoy the boat.

May 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Lake Nockamixon
Thank you!!I had no issues at all the last 2 years. Once I upgrade the tow package I’m sure I’ll be fine. Thanks everyone!

May 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Lake Nockamixon
To answer Dave, the trailer does not have brakes and I exercise extreme caution when towing with no issues.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
With brakes your borderline. An empty 23.5 weighs #2,000 the trailer is right at #1,000. Your motor and everything else will surprise you with it's total weight. Without brakes on the trailer I think your way over what is prudent. My counsel would be put brakes on and keep the weight on the boat to a minimum or rent a truck twice a year to get the boat to the slip.

I have a 23.5 and my daughter has an Escape as does a good friend who shares with me the up keep of our youth sailing program which includes five power boats. We quit towing those with the Escape except around the storage yard and to the boat ramp on our property. The Escape is just not a big enough car, the weight of the boat pushes the car around too much. They are great cars but not for towing much more than #3,000 without brakes on the trailer. this is from a guy who has towed a 23.5 behind a Mustang. I am not above pushing the limits some.

Apr 5, 2018
Catalina Capri 25 Jackson
this is from a guy who has towed a 23.5 behind a Mustang. I am not above pushing the limits some.
That’s the kind of comical shit that gets turned into an internet meme over night. That would look absolutely ridiculous

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
That’s the kind of comical shit that gets turned into an internet meme over night. That would look absolutely ridiculous
Wish I had a picture.

The lot where we stored the boat had very narrow driveways the boat trailer and Our Town Car would not fit. The Mustang worked perfectly and with the top down it was easy to see as well. I'd pull it home with the Town Car then switch. It wasn't far to the storage lot and I doubt I ever went more than 30 mph. Straight ahead was no issue but you could sure feel it turning a corner. Even the empty trailer pushes the Mustang in a corner.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I would appreciate gents that foul language may be fine in other venues but not here, so please respect me. Thanks. I was caught off guard with a Mustang pulling a 260 once at the coast. He did have a beefed up frame and towing package with the other larger engine pulling on level roads only. Also I saw a VW pulling one a Hunter 170 and another pulling a catamaran possibly a 20 footer which I think was a Nacra. I have seen quite a bit over the years and if I can find the one launching a Hunteer 320 over a bridge with a crane and mast up, I will post it but will never discuss how done as only experienced need to be doing that and I was experienced to do so.