H170 and the dreaded rotten wood in the motor mount area, my findings to date.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I’m amazed at how much you have accomplished on your boat and want to really thank you for advancing repair techniques on ACP hulls or for that matter all boats.

It would be interesting to get your perspective ( of course after you are done and enjoyed some sailing time ! :beer:) on if you were to do this again would you alter the sequence of repairs? In other words you had a number of holes in the boat and could you have used them differently to accomplish the total end result?

I’m also curious about your logic of reattaching the Luran pieces you removed, would it have been OK to have just used FRP over the foam and faired that off??

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
I’m amazed at how much you have accomplished on your boat and want to really thank you for advancing repair techniques on ACP hulls or for that matter all boats.

It would be interesting to get your perspective ( of course after you are done and enjoyed some sailing time ! :beer:) on if you were to do this again would you alter the sequence of repairs? In other words you had a number of holes in the boat and could you have used them differently to accomplish the total end result?

I’m also curious about your logic of reattaching the Luran pieces you removed, would it have been OK to have just used FRP over the foam and faired that off??
I dont know if Im advancing ACP repair that much, but thank you for the encouraging words.

What would i do different? I would have done this earlier on for one and done once. There is too much online sugesting to refill the screw holes and move on. This is terrible for the luran, and I hope everone can see why and see how its actually pretty easy for a decent DIY repair. Normal boats also get the same bad advice when the core rots. some paradigm of shoot foam or fill with goo, or support from underneath. The Core must be fixed.

The sequence was good. Definely do the mount and rudder at the same time.

I should have either sunk the 4in pucks below grade or adfed FRP replacements. It sucked trying to level them. Better to just fill the gap with low density filler and hard block it flat.

I would have liked to have experimented with adding the high and low density west system fillers to the MMA "plexus", especially for faring. I was nervous about how much MMA would be needed, but I think for all this i only used 15-20 pumps of epoxy. Using filler with MMA would bring the cost down some and increase its utility.