H-356 cutlass bearing

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I did change my 2007 H-36 same as 356 and did not need to drop my rudder and did remove the shaft completely with out any trouble.
I did replace the cut less with out any special tool and used mainsail web site to help me and had great info for sure.
Nick

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
no you don't, but be aware that the flange that attaches the shaft to the transmission is splined and held on by a setscrew on the side AND a large nut inside the flange. If you choose to pull the shaft you have to disconnect the flange from the tranny and remove that nut first.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I was waiting for my haul out to do new bottom paint and that was the time for me to
Changeout the rubber on my PSS and even though my cutlass was not really bad I decided with the shaft out I would change it out.
Yes you do need to remove the flange on the shaft that is connected to tranny and everything
I did removing the flange and new cutless was the first time doing this type of job but with the help from Mainsail’s web site sure helped out fore sure.
Removing the shaft flange was the hardest part of the job and need to use some heat and some
banging with hammer but was able to reuse the flange and has been working great.
Go to Mainsail web page before starting and there are tools that can be used with out removing anything and some marina’s have guys do with that tool.
It is no easy job removing that flange for sure and sometimes the flange needs replacing.
Nick

Dec 22, 2012
Hunter 27-3 103 Gables By The Sea
The cutlass was changed using the special split tool that wraps around the shaft and pulls the cutlass out. To install it is just the reverse. Only the prop has to be removed. It was done in September of 2016 at Bay Pointe Marine in Quincy, MA. Bearing was $81 and they charged 3 hours of labor at $115 an hour. Seemed reasonable.

Dec 22, 2012
Here are pictures of one of these tools. Pulling the shaft can be a problem depending on how the coupling has been maintained. If it is all rusted then good luck. Most yards for a small, short shaft like this one recommend cutting the old one if it doesn't come out easily. It's probably $3-400 from a prop shop with the coupling new. You can imagine that goes quickly messing with an old one at $100 an hour.
upload_2018-1-13_18-18-15.jpeg

apybus

Apr 8, 2015
Hunter Legend 356 St Helier, Jersey
Wondered why the manual for my 356 has a shaft whereas the boat has a saildrive. Did they make them with both options?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Wondered why the manual for my 356 has a shaft whereas the boat has a saildrive. Did they make them with both options?
I can confirm that my H356 from 2002 had a prop shaft and not a Sail drive.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
As others have said, changing the cutlass bearing can be done without pulling the shaft (or dealing with the coupling, or dropping the rudder), but you need some tools to press the bearing out of the strut. You can make the parts you need, but I had my brother-in-law make mine in his machine shop.

The guy that bought my old boat made his own and we were able to to press the old bearing out and the new one in.

Here is my set up.

Greg

Dec 22, 2012
Saw a photo of a British Hunter 356 model with twin bilge keels that is for sale on YachtWorld and it has as sail drive.

Sep 30, 2007
hunter 356 little river
That boat has been for sale a long time. I guess twin keels are not desirable in this market. That's a English/European thing.