H-34 Compression Beam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
H of G:

I think there is wood inside the member that goes from port to starboard at the compression post. I agree that it is NOT a beam, but there is wood in there.

If yours does not have wood in there, someone must have replaced it.

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Ian...

I do have a small color infra-red lite camera that will plug into my flat screen but it needs a golf ball sized hole to put it into (was intended to be mounted as a home entrance surveilance camea). May drill just a view port hole for the lens to peak through.

You sure someone didn't remove the "cross beam", and that the compression load is transferred directly downward into the two verticle members capped by the teak? It's been my understanding that there is a "cross-beam" to carry some of the loading out to the deck sides. I'll have to look through my pic files and in the archives to satisfy this question.

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
beam me up

I do have a small color infra-red lite camera that will plug into my flat screen but it needs a golf ball sized hole to put it into (was intended to be mounted as a home entrance surveilance camea). May drill just a view port hole for the lens to peak through.

You sure someone didn't remove the "cross beam", and that the compression load is transferred directly downward into the two verticle members capped by the teak? It's been my understanding that there is a "cross-beam" to carry some of the loading out to the deck sides. I'll have to look through my pic files and in the archives to satisfy this question.
Dan, I'm not suggesting that there is no wood in the beam, only that it dosen't extend from one side of the boat to the other. It is merely a "filler block" to transfer the load down to the support post from the deck step. I suspect that it may be 1 or 2 ft long and I wouldn't be surprised if this varied from boat to boat. The camera I used is called a See Snake that we use at work. I've seen them in Home depot under a different name, made by Milwalkee. You may be able to rent one from there contractor desk. I removed the two reading lights port and starboard on the beam and this is where I accessed the beam and stuck the camera lense in about 30 in. from both sides. If it was in fact a solid beam, I could not have accomplished this. I was able to see the wire channels etc and this helped make my decision to correct the support structure the way I did. Cheers, Ian

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Thanks, Ian...

I didn't know just how far they carried the cross beams, if they were steam bent or tapered or what. I did know that they were there in some form.

Using the reading light hole for access is a good tip. I'll have to see if my infra-red camera will fit through it or if I need to acquire another neat "toy" ( :) )!

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter Cherubini Corpus Christi
my mast is sinking into the deck

I own a Hunter 30 ft Cherubini 1981 that my mast has loosened up lots in the past 2 months and the depression on the deck is getting worse. No cracks but .. time to fix this. I am a NEW boat owner so sorry for extra help I am asking for. I plan to fix it the next month.. I also have a keel that is leaking so if anyone has info on how to do that.. I expect to take it off and.. then? :confused:

Jun 3, 2010
It sounds like the compression post has to be removed and also inspected. How easy does this come out? Also should I cut a hole in the inside of the cabin or just the outside to replace the damaged wood? How big of a hole? What is the best wood or metal to use? Do you use bolts or screws? or do you embed the bolts into it? Too many questions.. sorry.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Andrea:

Check the metal step in the bilge. This is a common place for corrosion on these models. If that is all intack then you may just need to remove the mast and cut out the area around the mast step for inspection.

Check out the archives for some solutions on these problems.

Jun 3, 2010
Thank you Steve. Ill check that out. I have looked and I have not found out "how much" to cut out? as much till I don't find bad wood?

Jun 9, 2010
Hunter 34 Cedar Island
I am replacing the compression post with SS as described by Heart of Gold. I need opinions on a couple of things. After reading an article on lightning strikes, I was wondering if at the base of the post if it would be a good idea to wrap the base plate around and down into the bilge. In the bilge, attach it to a keel bolt. What are your opinions? I thought it may minimize any damage if it does not have a chance to arch as much. I realize I'll loose electronics and a chunk off the keel, but I just want to stay afloat.

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
You will find that the mast is bonded to the step and then down to the keel bolt in a round about way. I reconnected this bonding when re stepping the mast. Mind you, if your keel is well painted and faired, I don't know how much dissipation you would get from that bond in the event of a strike. I made my bond to the mast using a new ss access cover that I installed to reconnect the mast wiring. cheers, Ian

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
That sounds about right but let me dig out my drawings and take a measurement. you don't want to be short at the price of stainless! Cheers, Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.