H 34 Bilge Pump wiring faulty

Jun 12, 2013
Hunter 40 back creek
I noticed while changing the automatic rule lever on off switch in the nuke that the gear shrink connectors looked like I should snip and replace them while installing the switch lever. What I came to find out is that one the reason the switch didn’t work is I think I have a dead brown wire in the bulge going to the pump. Black wire and 2 brown wires! Can someone help me to learn where these wires come from and what each is suppose to be connected to. The circuit breaker switch on the panel turns the pump on manually at present but that’s where I’m losing my clarity!! I now have a new bilge lever switch in place but I’m lost! Help

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
My C30 has a bilge switch on the panel with Manual and Auto positions. If yours doesn't have the Auto position it may be wired direct to the battery with a fuse in line?
The breaker and or in line fuse protect the wire. I was always under the impression bilge pumps also had a fuse near the pump to protect the pump should it jam from debris. (Haven't got that far on my new to me C30 to see if I have a fuse at the bilge pump)

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
You should have a solid brown and a brown with white stripe at the pump. The solid brown connects to your wire that goes to the electrical panel switch ( it's not a circuit breaker). That's what the fuse on your panel is for. I have a 2000 gph pump with the recommended 15 amp fuse. The brown with white stripe goes via your lever switch to the wire that is inside the engine compartment. It connects to one of the terminals on the battery selector switch that is powered all the time no matter what position the switch is set to including off. Lift the lever and the pump will come on an so should the panel light. Flip the panel switch on an the pump and light come on manually.

My Rule Mate pump has an internal switch so that's why I have the two flavors of brown wires.