H-26 Zinc on Aluminum Rudder Head

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
During my first 5 years in salt water with my H-26, the aluminum rudder head experienced significant corrosion. After replacing the set, I still noticed early signs of corrosion. I installed zincs and it appeared to have greatly reduced the corrosion rate. After about a year, the zincs would be reduced to about half their size, so I'd routinely replace them.

I am now a fresh water sailor and learning the differences in my boat maintenance.

Now a question, will I still need to replace the zincs, or was the corrosion solely saltwater related? Thanks! BrianW

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
More likely in salt water. In fresh, you should change to magnesium "zincs" for better protection. If they don't disappear, then none are necessary.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Yes as Kloudie says. For certain - use magnesium anodes if you stay in fresh water. All of them rudder, strut, shaft, prop and so forth. Put another way replace 100% of every zinc anode with magnesium.

Charles

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
Dave, yes..... I'm in Lake Guntersville Marina and Sailing Club in Guntersville, AL.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Brian, the last boat delivered there by me was a Catalina 250 I think the wing keel. It has been a long time ago. Forgot to put dealer tags on and was stopped. The game warden or what you call him was polite and let me go where many others would love to have ticketed me when I pulled them out and put them on.