Gusset in Stern Lazarette of 410

Darb

Nov 28, 2016
Hunter 410 Bayfield
Has anyone found a problem with the integrity of a plywood gusset that is installed at the stern of their 410 between the rudder tube and the transom? It does not appear to be a structural member but does act as a partition between the two sides of the lazarette off of the swim platform. It is in an awkward spot and I'm curious to know if and/
or how anyone may have mitigated that.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
I'm afraid I'm not sure what you are talking about. If you are in the starboard stern locker facing forward looking left? What is the issue is it rotting or is it loose? I have not had an issue at this point. Pictures?

Darb

Nov 28, 2016
Hunter 410 Bayfield
Hello scottdube, It is in the stern locker on your left side as you face forward. It runs fore and aft and is pretty much on the centre line of the boat. It is very near the floor of the locker; I'm not sure if it goes right to the floor (i.e. attached fore and aft AND on the bottom). No, I haven't taken a photo but I should have before I posted this. #&%&$#! It appears to be rotted but there is no indication of a water problem back there. I'm sure water gets in as the starboard hatch and combing are attached with 4 bolts and some gasket material but the locker is in good order, other than this gusset. I know of another 410 that has a similar issue but have not talked with anyone that has fixed it or determined it to be a problem. Thought I would cast my net a bit further.

Darb

Nov 28, 2016
Hunter 410 Bayfield
...in the starboard stern locker. My generator is in there forward and to my right, the A/C forward and to my left and this gusset down and to my extreme left, under the molded in step in my swim platform. Again, a picture would have helped!

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
I'll take a closer look at mine... I don't believe it goes all the way up to the transom step. I think its non structural. Mine has the fuel filter for the genset mounted on it.

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
Mine has a straight line section where the white coating has cracked and fallen off. I'm not sure whether it is really a structural support for the rudder tube or not, I assume it is because it seems better installed than if it was just a partition. It is connected to the rudder tube and the hull and stern, but not the deck. Since sometime the rudder makes a grinding sound I feel it indicates that it does flex and the thing worries me. So I'm going to grind the loose white coating off and fiberglass tape the section.

BTW there's good access in the stbd side if you take the top of the locker off.

Darb

Nov 28, 2016
Hunter 410 Bayfield
It is probably a reasonable precaution to take, Don, to go in and clean it up and re-coat it. I might even add some re-inforcing if I can get reasonable access to it. I'm not a big guy but I still find it to be in a very awkward spot, even with the starboard locker combing removed! To get better access to it might require disassemblng the aft cabin bulkhead and going in that way?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Mine rotted away years ago. I see no reason for it other than provide a separation between the two lazarettes.