Gunwale Damage

Jun 8, 2014
Hunter 23.5 Lake MaBride
The Gunwale of our H235 was damaged by a pier from powerboat driven chop where we docked at for a couple hours. Wondering if anyone has some thoughts on how I would go about repairing this? I've attached a couple pictures.
Thx,

Attachments

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
is that a plastic extrusion that holds the rub rail strip?? What I would do is remove the "rubber" from the extrusion from the damage to the stern. Re-attach the extrusion - you will probably need to remove the screws and fill holes with epoxy and drill new holes close to where they were. once the extrusion is back in place (minus the broken area) go thru the tedious process of re-insterting the rub strip into the extrusion - a heat gun helps. Don't forget the butyl at the new screw holes.
Les

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The rub rail is a two part with a base and an insert. Remove the screws and fill in the holes with either a two part epoxy or even better yet, 5200. You will need to clean out the holes first and then fill in.
I notice the rub rail base is shattered at the ends and suggest cutting off. Then determine the length needed and purchase that. I would advise going thru the forum store and advise if white or grey. I think yours is white. Then when it comes in, see if it is right but if too long, cut off the excess. Then predrill holes for the base rub rail and then mark where new holes need to be drilled into the hull. Note the length the original screws taken out. Suggest then predrill into the hull being careful not going all the way thru. I would use 5200 as any butyl tape will not hold in place and make sure you put some caulk on the threads too

As for the insert, you can push it down into the bottom of the base and force the upper in with a flat blade screwdriver going down at an angle. Hopes this helps. I use to repair that as a dealer.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Same type of rub rail on my O'day and had similar damage. I can add a couple of things to the above advice.
If the base comes coiled, straighten it out ASAP. If it has retained coil shape to it, lay it out flat and straight somewhere in the sun for several days. That will help with installing it flat and straight. I had to screw mine flat to a unused dock for a few weeks of warm weather.
I replaced all of my rub rail and while I had the old off I checked the hull/deck joint screws and found many were not snug. I pulled them all out a few at a time, coated them with 3m 5200 and put them back tight.
For the base rub rail I filled the old holes with 610 Epoxy, drilled new pilot holes through base and hull joint at the same time, then installed screws coated with 3M 4200.