gunnels wood?

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
I would like to replace the pieces of teak wood on the gunnels, where can I get new ones, or is there another type of would that I could use and make my own that resembles teak.
Teak is very hard to find in my neck of the woods.
IMG_1475.JPG

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think Trex would be a good choice. There is also a product called Plasteak that is essentially Trex made to look like teak. Either way, if you went with a faux wood product, you would never have to revisit maintenance on that again.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
You should be able to find ipe shorts from deck installers. Also called iron wood it has been used on boats for a long time, usually in very high wear areas. It looks similar to teak but with finer grain structure. This is a picture at a buffet I made for the back deck. Frame is ipe insets are teak.
IMG_0674.JPG

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
I got new pieces from the Hunter factory about 12 years ago. I don't know if they'd still be available. I think I ordered them through their parts department.

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
I have used Meranti as a substile for teak. Its harder than teak, wears well but a bit more brittle than teak . It's used a as decking material, and in window and door frames. The color can vary from a dark red to tan, so its best to hand pick the piece from the lumber yard. It is also known a Philippine Mahogany .

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
Hey Leslie, I like the contrast between the Ipe and Teak. Nice job!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Hey Leslie, I like the contrast between the Ipe and Teak. Nice job!
thanks - the deck looks like it needs a good cleaning (long winter and busy last year) I use Penofin on the deck and matte urethane on the buffet.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
See what it would cost from the forum store.
Rick MacDonald. Bet you bought them thru Al at the old Hunter who now owns sailboat owners. Small world

As for suggestions they are appreciated but the final decision is always the owner due to time and cost as well. Suggests some type of plastic not affected by U V as later models had

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
I found my old order. Sep 2002, ordered through Glenmore Sailboats in Calgary. They're called Coaming Pads on the order, and were C$49 each at the time. I think I talked to the Hunter parts department to get all the part names and availability, then ordered it all through Glenmore Sailboats. It was a large order, including stern rail seats, a window, companionway door, shroud T-bolts, etc.

I see they have a store in Edmonton as well, and still mention Hunter on their website. That said, you might try ordering direct from Hunter. As Dave mentioned, I would probably look for plastic instead of teak. My friends H260 has plastic.