Gudgeon Mounting

agg212

Feb 11, 2019
Albin Cumulus Boston
Hi all,

I'm in the process on remounting two gudgeons on my rudder (one below the waterline, one above). I have cleaned up the area where the old gudgeon was, filled the old holes with thickened epoxy, and will drill new holes/mount the gudgeon in the same spot.

My question is the following: How should I prepare the surface (note that the area is below the waterline)? As you can see from the picture, some of the bare fiberglass is visible. Should I sand it down even further and apply gelcoat on top of the bare fiberglass? Or could I simply apply a thin layer of thickened epoxy to create a waterproof barrier?

Thanks!

IMG_4152.jpg
IMG_4053 2.jpg

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
You will be fine applying epoxy. However, I think you should be sure to seal any cracks in the gelcote in the area too. I see some cracks. You do not want water getting to the core of your rudder. You could sand the whole rudder, apply a barrier coat of epoxy and then paint it. They would seal it and protect it above and below water.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yes to Andrew’s suggestion, epoxy primer. Interprotect 2000 is an excellent product to seal up the rudder. Pettit also makes a similar product. After that a single part enamel like Brightsides will make it shine and protect from UV. Skip the gelcoat stuff, not worth the bother.

Oct 25, 2015
Catalina 22 Cave Run Lake ky
If it stays in the water long than 1 day at a time a barrier seal is a must. Over the past 5 DECADES I have seen a lot of fiberglass damage caused by water and this is particularly bad at high stress points like this one. I would strip the whole rudder and barrier coat the whole thing.
I have seen epoxy that was not covered by a barrier coat fail under water because of a loss of adhesive properties when bonded to polyester resin.
I suggest 2 or 3 barrier coats then 2 coats of antifouling below the water and topside paint above the water line and skip the gel coat