Grunge Removal

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Just spent four hours cleaning the boat of the winter grunge. Wears me out. Start at the bow and work back leaving the cockpit to the last. Belle-Vie shines up nice every year, which makes her good for the season.

An assortment of bristle brushes ranging from a long handled deck for the larger areas, a short handle deck for the smaller areas, a thin hand for small narrow spaces and a few old tooth brushes for the tight spaces the others cannot reach. I've tried our power washer before, but time wise it works out to about the same. There are some black mold spots that the brushes will not remove, but the power washer will. That is for another day.

June 26 is my last day of work for about two months, so some water time is in order. British Columbia for sure. Need to check out False Creek for when my son and his family arrives. They want to do the Capilano Bridge park for starters. Secret Cove, Smuggler Cove, Nanaimo, et al.

Current month of Northwest Yachting has an article on, "Beyond Nakwakto Rapids", that needs a read. Much to see, been by it, but never ventured in. Perhaps this year's sail plan?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
We are doing a second trip during the middle two wks of July. Will have our 15 yr old grandaughter and friend who do not have passports. Friend turns 16 couple days after return, so not going to chance it getting back from Canadian waters late..we'll have an "itinerary" later as we'll have some reserved resort/dock times....

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Just spent four hours cleaning the boat of the winter grunge.
Hey, Terry, consider yourself lucky. My friend came over today and said: "Hmm, looking pretty clean." I replied: "Yup, it just took the snow to stop and another three months. I do a postage size bit every time I visit the boat."

If you get up this way, please let me know would be great to visit with you.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Terry have you tried "slimy green and slippery black". I've used it at home with good results. Never tried it on the boat.

Les

Dec 25, 2000
Terry have you tried "slimy green and slippery black". I've used it at home with good results. Never tried it on the boat.

Les
Hi Les, must give it a try. Normally just use the pink liquid boat soap. Seems to work well with my assortment of brushes.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Terry, You appear to be a grunge removal expert. Perhaps you could come down to my boat in July and show me your techniques. Like Tom Sawyer, I would be most interested in the way you do the scrubbing... It sounds like it might be a type of fun you excel at.

Dec 25, 2000
Terry, You appear to be a grunge removal expert. Perhaps you could come down to my boat in July and show me your techniques. Like Tom Sawyer, I would be most interested in the way you do the scrubbing... It sounds like it might be a type of fun you excel at.
John, you're such a hoot. By the way, how are the repairs coming along? Anything serious? Did the perp come through with any help?

Oct 22, 2014
Repairs in limbo awaiting the perp to start making payment as he said he would. Not sure what to believe. He has been loose with the truth several times so I am not holding my breath. The repair estimate is a 11 boat bucks. Not sure when it can be done. I am expecting him to pay or the boat owner to pay. Hope is they will step up and do the right thing. I am preparing to give them a boost towards that if necessary.

Oct 22, 2014
Trying to find out if boat owner has insurance. Going to have to call my insurer.