Grounded

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
concur with the soft mud but be extremely cautious and make sure no rocks or debri in the mud. Suggest taking the better half with you and have a mud fight or better yet what about facial mud applications. Better run on that last suggestion as I might get yelled at here. Hardy har har

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Cape Cod, Ma.
I own a 1995 h26. Can damage occur from being beached during low tides as in the pic posted? I used a pic from the Hunter forums. Hope that is legal! Thanks
I own the Hunter 23.5 in the photo you posted. I have moored the boat in Cape Cod Bay ,Eastham, Ma. for the past 13 years. The tides are steep there. At high tide the boat is in 12 feet of water. Low tide the boat sits on the sandy smooth bottom. The centerboard nestles into the soft wet sand as the boat settles. I keep the water ballast seal closed to keep from getting sand in the ballast. The 150 lb. mushroom anchor is completely buried and covered with sand and I have 22 feet of 3/8 chain attached with a swivel followed by 20 feet of 3/4 inch rope and another swivel and a clip on the end for the bow hook. I keep the rudder all the way up as shown in the photo supported by a line wrapped around the rudder and a line around the tiller. Never had a problem even in rough surf conditions. Here are more photos "High" & "Dry" .....Regards, Mike

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
@Mike in Cape Cod

I like the name of your boat.

I wonder if you have problems with "tourists" at low tide? Seems like it would be inviting to some.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Cape Cod, Ma.
@Mike in Cape Cod

I like the name of your boat.

I wonder if you have problems with "tourists" at low tide? Seems like it would be inviting to some.
Yes "tourists" have been a problem. Young kids throwing mud, tennis balls at the side of the boat at low tide, people hanging their wet towels on the boat , also I have found beer bottles & cans scattered in the cockpit some mornings as well as loads of sandy footprints. One day I was resting on the beach and saw two teenage boys swim out to the boat and climb aboard and use it for a platform to dive into the water and again climb on board. That did not go well for them......seems many from our generation failed at raising their children properly.