Registered users don't see ads

Groco Strainer option

Discussion in 'Catalina 309 Group Forum' started by Canvasback, Nov 1, 2016. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Canvasback

Canvasback

Joined Aug 4, 2006
    45 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 309
    US Chrismar Marina, Middle River
    Skippers, I am looking to replace my existing strainers (AC and Engine) with Groco strainers to accomodate the Aquaduk winterizing system that was recently purchased. I am not at my boat now, but need to know what the ID threads of the existing factory installed setup. This will determine whether I get the ARG-500, -700, -750, or -1000. Does anybody have the info I need? Thanks for any comments.

2. Canvasback

Canvasback

Joined Aug 4, 2006
    45 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 309
    For those interested and perhaps looking for this info, the Groco ARG-500 with 1/2" NPT feed is the alternative to the factory installed strainers. Glad I made the switch to the much beefier and better looking Groco strainer.
    http://www.groco.net/SVC-MAN-07/Sec5/PDF/ARG.pdf

3. Bob S

Bob S

Joined Sep 27, 2007
    1,405 posts, 39 likes
    Beneteau 393
    US New Bedford
    I agree, the raw water strainers Catalina used were not very robust. I went with a Perko
    [​IMG]
    Courtesy of Perko

4. SFS

SFS

Joined Aug 18, 2015
    1,505 posts, 449 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Tampa Bay
    @Canvasback - are both the inlet and outlet side 1/2" NPT? I want to change my outlet side to a standard hose barb. The current setup has something else (that I can't see without cutting off the hose) and I will want to replace it.

5. Canvasback

Canvasback

Joined Aug 4, 2006
    45 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 309
    Both sides are different sizes. The inlet side is 1/2" NPT and the motor feed is 5/8" NPT. This is for the factory installed Yanmar 21hp.

6. SFS

SFS

Joined Aug 18, 2015
    1,505 posts, 449 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Tampa Bay
    Thanks, they looked a little different to me, and when I called Groco at 4:01 everyone had gone home at 4:00.

Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.