Registered users don't see ads

Groco Strainer option

Discussion in 'Catalina 309 Group Forum' started by Canvasback, Nov 1, 2016. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Canvasback

Canvasback

Joined Aug 4, 2006
    45 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 309
    US Chrismar Marina, Middle River
    Skippers, I am looking to replace my existing strainers (AC and Engine) with Groco strainers to accomodate the Aquaduk winterizing system that was recently purchased. I am not at my boat now, but need to know what the ID threads of the existing factory installed setup. This will determine whether I get the ARG-500, -700, -750, or -1000. Does anybody have the info I need? Thanks for any comments.

2. Canvasback

Canvasback

Joined Aug 4, 2006
    45 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 309
    For those interested and perhaps looking for this info, the Groco ARG-500 with 1/2" NPT feed is the alternative to the factory installed strainers. Glad I made the switch to the much beefier and better looking Groco strainer.
    http://www.groco.net/SVC-MAN-07/Sec5/PDF/ARG.pdf

3. Bob S

Bob S

Joined Sep 27, 2007
    1,366 posts, 27 likes
    Beneteau 393
    US New Bedford
    I agree, the raw water strainers Catalina used were not very robust. I went with a Perko
    [​IMG]
    Courtesy of Perko

4. SFS

SFS

Joined Aug 18, 2015
    1,432 posts, 422 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Tampa Bay
    @Canvasback - are both the inlet and outlet side 1/2" NPT? I want to change my outlet side to a standard hose barb. The current setup has something else (that I can't see without cutting off the hose) and I will want to replace it.

5. Canvasback

Canvasback

Joined Aug 4, 2006
    45 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 309
    Both sides are different sizes. The inlet side is 1/2" NPT and the motor feed is 5/8" NPT. This is for the factory installed Yanmar 21hp.

6. SFS

SFS

Joined Aug 18, 2015
    1,432 posts, 422 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Tampa Bay
    Thanks, they looked a little different to me, and when I called Groco at 4:01 everyone had gone home at 4:00.

Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!