Greetings from Eastern Washington

Jun 22, 2014
Catalina 14.2 Eastern Washington
This is my first post on the site, no questions this time, but I will have plenty in the future! I have been intrigued about Sailing since childhood but never really had the chance to try it out until a few years ago when I bought a 14 C-Lark to learn the fundamentals of everything that I had read about and, at least, had a basic understanding of the theories. While figuring things out a few years back, I noticed a very tidy little Catalina 14.2 tied to a particular dock. For whatever reason, I coveted that little boat all Summer long and made a point to Sail by her every time that I was out.

The following Spring, I noticed that the boat was no longer tied to the dock and I assumed that she went to another owner somewhere. It was a few weeks later while I was on a morning walk, waiting for the wind to pick up and I noticed her in the driveway with a For Sale sign on her. Long story short, she is mine now and has been for a couple of seasons. I love Sailing the little Catalina but I am interested in a ballasted boat that is a little larger. I have been reading a lot lately about the Catalina 22 and I am almost certain that this will be my next boat. I could be wrong, but I believe that I am probably going to be a "Catalina guy" for a good long time now.

I have been reading a lot of threads about the Catalina 22 to learn more about the boat and I will have a lot of questions about her I the future! I look forward to corresponding with you folks and learning from your experiences.

Until then, greetings!

Attachments

Jul 4, 2013
Catalina 22 Trailered
Howdy

We owned a Catalin 22 swing keel and loved it. Can't go wrong with the second most popular sailboat ever built.

Haven't ruled out owning another one, right now we will entertain ourselves with the Father In Law's Capri 18 and our Drascombe Lugger, Day sailer and Sunfish fleet.

Kent

Jun 22, 2014
That's what I am thinking about the Catalina 22. I haven't really found anybody that has had any strong feelings about the boat that are negative! Plus, the support and knowledge that is out there because the boat has been so successful, I wouldn't be a concerned about looking at an older boat as well. I have been following this forum for a little while now and I have been really impressed with how other owners, whether it's the Cat 22, or other models help out potential buyers regarding what to look out for and what might possibly be a good deal.
Regarding your Catalina 22, I have seen the specs on it and it says that the v berth has an 81" depth, would you agree with that? I'm 6'-2" and fortunately my better half is only 5'-4" but from the pictures that I have seen, and I have only seen pictures at this point, the v berth doesn't look that deep. I figure that if I didn't fit in the v berth, I should be able to sleep in the starboard berth.

Erieau

Apr 3, 2009
Oday 25 Erieau
That's funny about the "Catalina guy" thing. I started with an Oday Mariner, and my next boat was the Oday 25. I just felt drawn to it.
First loves, and all that.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
You might not know, but Catalina manufactured 4 versions of the C-22. The original, and most popular, built from 1969/70 to 1985. The "New Design" or 2nd generation C-22 came out in 1986 and was built to 1994. Nice boat for cruising with the improved cabin design and some nice safety improvements, I believe a wing keel version was offered in 1988. My opinion, decked out, the nicest looking version of the C-22. The MK-II version came out in 1995 to 2012. Completely different boat. Wider hull,(8'4" beam) and cabin, no dinette, V-berth,(I believe 7' long) and two quarter berths along each side of the cabin,(7'2" long). VERY SPACIOUS CABIN! No exterior wood,(as all Catalina boats starting around 1995), so minimal exterior maintenance. New design swing keel eliminates a lot of the keel maintenance required of the older cast iron keels, also offered with a wing keel, and uses the Capri-22 wing keel. I believe in 2004 the C-22 Sport came out. More of a performance/racing version using the old hull with an up dated deck and cabin. Only available with the new design swing keel. Gob's of information on just about anything to do with C-22's on the C-22 National Association web site. We currently own two C-22's, and have owner one of the original versions years ago. Personally, we LOVE our MK-II version. Plenty of room for the wife and I and our little dog. Take a look at my photo albums for photos of our C-22's over the years.

Good luck in the search!

Don

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Regarding your Catalina 22, I have seen the specs on it and it says that the v berth has an 81" depth, would you agree with that? I'm 6'-2" and fortunately my better half is only 5'-4" but from the pictures that I have seen, and I have only seen pictures at this point, the v berth doesn't look that deep. I figure that if I didn't fit in the v berth, I should be able to sleep in the starboard berth.
What many C22 owners have done is make a plywood "shelf", a flat piece of plywood with fiddles on the bottom, to fit between the starboard side and the lowered dinette table, to make the "walkway" a flat area for a huge sleeping area, using the back cushions of the dinette on the plywood. Worked for us, but we're only 5'-10"...:)

Jun 22, 2014
That's funny about the "Catalina guy" thing. I started with an Oday Mariner, and my next boat was the Oday 25. I just felt drawn to it. First loves, and all that.
That is pretty much how I feel, there are a lot of great trailerable boats out there, and a few not so great! My little 14.2 really is a simple little design, the only real "Bell and whistle" being the jib furler, but she is my "first love" in Sailing! The C-Lark was a cool little boat, but it just didn't strike me quite the way my Catalina does every time that I go out. I guess I am somewhat fortunate that it was a Catalina that stole my heart early on, if for no other reason, being able to graduate to a successful boat like the 22.

Jun 22, 2014
The MK-II version came out in 1995 to 2012. Completely different boat. Wider hull,(8'4" beam) and cabin, no dinette, V-berth,(I believe 7' long) and two quarter berths along each side of the cabin,(7'2" long). VERY SPACIOUS CABIN! No exterior wood,(as all Catalina boats starting around 1995), so minimal exterior maintenance. New design swing keel eliminates a lot of the keel maintenance required of the older cast iron keels, also offered with a wing keel, and uses the Capri-22 wing keel. Don
Don, At this moment, MK-II is the boat I am most interested in simply because of the layout design and spacious cabin, I want my next boat to be able to accommodate four adults relatively comfortably on day sails and two adults on overnight trips, sleeping on the hook. One thing that I am going to be sure to do is take my time and actually look for the opportunity to go out on a few Catalina 22's, for those folks that will have me. I have seen quite a few 22's on the various lakes in my neck of the woods, so chances are good that I'll be able to get that opportunity. In Fact, the $tingy Sailor sails on a lake only 30 miles from my lake. I have read a lot on his blog about the boat and who knows, if I end up getting a similar model as his design, I would think that it would be nice to have such a valuable source so close by. I intend my next boat to stay with me for a good long time, therefore, I want to make sure that my next boat will be the perfect fit for me.

Jun 22, 2014
What many C22 owners have done is make a plywood "shelf", a flat piece of plywood with fiddles on the bottom, to fit between the starboard side and the lowered dinette table, to make the "walkway" a flat area for a huge sleeping area, using the back cushions of the dinette on the plywood. Worked for us, but we're only 5'-10"...:)
this is what I am looking forward to with this forum, the collaboration of ideas sharing what works and what might not work so well. Believe, height definitely has it's advantages at times, but there are times that I wish I was just a little shorter!

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Ken has a lot of GREAT idea's for the C-22's. AND! The C-22 National's will be held in Portland next year. Hopefully you'll have a C-22 by then. I'm hoping to get with Fleet-20 and have some activities for the cruiser's also during the regatta, and hopefully a San Juan cruise after the Nationals. One way or another, we'll be making a cruise up there! Beautiful country, and we won't pass up some GREAT cruising up there!

Don