Green film on dodger

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Just noticed some green (mold?) spots on dodger. Any suggest on how to remove? Many
products out there that say they can do the job?

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Hello Clyde,
I would start with a good laundry soap hose down with stiff scrub brush. Then use Oxi-Clean and let it sit for a little before washing it off. If you still have the spots, reapply the Oxi-Clean and let it sit longer.
Bleach will degrade the canvas if too strong or too long. I use Oxi-Clean for all kinds of stuff like that. You can over do it and start to take the color out, but it takes a lot of soaking to do that. Over night is fine for most materials. My parents had a big stain in their carpet and were going to replace the carpet because they could not clean it. While they were away for a week, I went in and used Oxi-Clean, no luck. I did it again a little longer, scrubbed the powder right into it. After a day, still nothing. I wet it down and added more power, returned in the evening to keep it wet and scrub more. I let it sit for three days, heavily coated in the powder, vacuumed it up and now they have a spot that is about three shades lighter than the rest of their carpet. At least it doesn't look dirty or stained any more. They decided they could live with that. :what:

- Will (Dragonfly)

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
I had the same problem a few years ago. I used a product call Spray 9. It worked really well. Spray it on an let sit for 5+ minutes and scrubbed it off with a soft fine brush then rinsed. It lasted for a couple of years and then the green mold came back but not as bad.
Cheers
2 Old Pirates

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Clyde, if your dodger is made of Sunbrella, then go to their website and download their Care & Maintenance. That's what I used: Woolite & a small amount of bleach. I have a light color dodger, worked great.
Why mix up something that the material makers may not recommend?

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Just noticed some green (mold?) spots on dodger. Any suggest on how to remove? Many
products out there that say they can do the job?

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA
Hi Clyde,

I assume it's acrylic like Sunbrella. Cleaning instructions are here and the methods remove mildew or mold growing (on organic dirt)

https://www.sunbrella.com/en-us/how-to-clean/clean-sunbrella-marine-canvas

Afterwards, treat the acrylic with 303 Protectant to restore the water repellancy of the fabric.

Clean as frequently as needed to remove pollutants and organics and treat with 303 annually to prevent future slime from growing. The Bay Area has lots of pollutants in the air due to car traffic and and air traffic.

Regards,
Judy

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Clyde, if your dodger is made of Sunbrella, then go to their website and download their Care & Maintenance. That's what I used: Woolite & a small amount of bleach. I have a light color dodger, worked great.
Why mix up something that the material makers may not recommend?
Good point Stu. Mine is Sunbrella color dark blue.

Clyde Thorington
C310 #245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Hi Clyde,

I assume it's acrylic like Sunbrella. Cleaning instructions are here and the methods remove mildew or mold growing (on organic dirt)

https://www.sunbrella.com/en-us/how-to-clean/clean-sunbrella-marine-canvas

Afterwards, treat the acrylic with 303 Protectant to restore the water repellancy of the fabric.

Clean as frequently as needed to remove pollutants and organics and treat with 303 annually to prevent future slime from growing. The Bay Area has lots of pollutants in the air due to car traffic and and air traffic.

Regards,
Judy
Good to hear from you Doc Judy. Yup it is Sunbrella and thanks for the site.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA