Great White deep in LI Sound!

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Don't swim with seals! Bad ju ju indeed. They say GW Sharks don't seek humans. But anyone can make a mistake. Have you every seen how they attack. They swim up from underneath and hit a seal so hard it's probably dead before it lands back in the water. That's not how I want to end. Not even time for a "Hail Mary." We once saw a Tiger shark swimming along the beach INSIDE Shinnicock Inlet where my brother and I used to dive. I never went diving there again. I couldn't ever be comfortable there again. These trackers are killing me. GW's are swimming along the beach a Napatree, Block Island, GREENWICH and probable about anywhere else you dip a toe on the NE coast.
Guy fooling around with seals on the Atlantic side of Cape Cod paid the price last summer. Don't know the type of shark but we can guess. Cape Cod tourist industry claims first shark attack in 82 years. Maybe, maybe not. Only Quint would know....

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
For those who find sharks nightmarish, feed your dreams on whatever it is that can eat a 9' great white shark whole, and proceed to immediately plunge 1,900 feet into the abyss - with the GW's (former) tracking device still data logging in its stomach.
https://www.cnn.com/2014/06/10/world/australia-great-white-shark/

Experts somewhat arbitrarily "explained" the mystery by saying it was another, much larger GW that ate the nine footer whole. And perhaps it was. But my understanding is that the largest GW known to science measured 20 feet, which seems a bit small for the job.

Regardless, whatever it was ... it's still out there. ;)

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The shark story on NBC Nightly News , on, 1830-1900 EST story not on yet.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
White sharks are basically temperate; don’t like really warm or really cold water. Whale sharks are basically tropical; e.g. Caribbean or southern Baja. So in summer you are more likely to see whites further north, such as in waters off New England or the Canadian maritime provinces. In winter, more around FL and the GOM on the east coast.They migrate seasonally.

Off CA, juvenile whites patrol nearshore. Large adults, more offshore such as around the offshore islands particularly near rookeries of seals and sea lions. They also migrate between northern CA and southern Baja. A 17 ft female would be considered a large adult. Jaws was a very scary movie to watch for SCUBA divers and surfers.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
They tagged that shark a couple of years back and this is the first time that it has been tracked to the Long Island Sound but it is possible he could have been there before tagging and I'm sure there are other sharks in the area.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
A friend of ours (boat name Crazy Lady) went to swim with the whale sharks and got great pictures of her efforts.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Experts somewhat arbitrarily "explained" the mystery by saying it was another, much larger GW that ate the nine footer whole. And perhaps it was. But my understanding is that the largest GW known to science measured 20 feet, which seems a bit small for the job..... ;)
I've seen a 9' shark eaten by a 12' shark, less than 50' from the boat. It's a long story that involves some cobia fishing. About 4 other sharks jumped in to finish off the 9-footer after the 12' guy got the first big bite out of his back. It was a big red mess.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
These scientists drive me nuts sometimes. This beast is cruising the LI shoreline and they say "That's a real positive sign for the Sound there.". I wonder if they plan to spend their vacation on the beach or in the waters. "people should 'demonstrate common sense' before going into the water." o_O

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gr...t-time-ever-researchers/ar-AABDSCY?ocid=ientp

I'm now hearing reports that the bunny huggers are "excited" to find that the salt water crocs in Miami have expanded their population to the point where they are now expanding their territory. Since I'm a swimmer/boater/diver who is about an hour and a half north of there, my response to the news of the expanding territory is somewhat different. I think we should institute a bounty on them.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
When Jaws first came out we were in OZ, about halfway on our circumnavigation. I left my wife and child onboard and went to watch the movie. When I returned, I told then the movie was off limits for the foreseeable future and I'm still not sure either has seen it in the intervening years.
However, as I tell my guests, humans are NOT on the menu for most sharks, and those few who would take a bite are so fast, you'd never know what hit you. So it's kinda like being afraid of getting hit by a meteorite. In 99% of shark bite cases, the shark spits the human out. We just aren't all that palatable to them. Even the great white isn't all that aggressive with humans; people swim with them frequently as a tourist experience in places like SA.
Of course, one can make themselves a target, but then it's on the person, not the shark.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It’s normal for a white shark to bite its prey, then let it go (“spit out”). They attack pinnipeds with a deep bite to certain muscles. For sea lions it’s the pectoral muscles; for seals it’s the rump muscles. They disable the prey with the bite, then “let it go” to bleed out. After the prey animal expires, they then start consuming it. So, I don’t necessarily believe that evidence that the shark has mistaken its prey is because it spits it out, as some have claimed.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Sail Lake Superior. No Salt. No Sharks.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I guess it is safe to say that I'm not the only one that has sharks at least in the back of my mind every time I go in the water. I'm always thinking about bull sharks, especially when I go in the water in Barnegat Bay. Easy access, brackish, cloudy, shallow water. I always think that they can be anywhere in the bay and you won't see one in advance!

file-90.jpeg