Great White deep in LI Sound!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I hate sharks! More like terrified of them. When we used to deploy with the Navy on the USS Midway, whenever there was a MOB, the MARDET would come out with M16s. The Navy dumped mess hall garbage over the fantail and sharks would follow the boat. The first time I saw "Jaws" was on the Midway. Later in life; saw a large one onetime swimming near the pier in Destin, FL A few years back when we picked up out catamaran in Tortola, I peered over the side and saw sharks swimming under us. Did I mention I hate sharks!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm afraid of sharks. I love to swim in salt water. When Jaws first came out I didn't swim for a whole year. I've seen many sharks fishing with my family off Long Island (There are way more than 4 species around) including GW's. I've never heard of a GW Shark in Long Island Sound - let alone off Greenwich. A few years ago when we were taking our boat from Greenport to Westerly Ct. we stopped in mid sound a swim for a half hour. This story creeps me out. BTW does anyone know if the shark swam around Montauk and Orient to get in the Sound. GW's are regular denizens of the Block Island waters.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
They have a tracker on it. It probably did come around Montauk as it swam up form the south. I got married 40 years ago in Glen Cove on the north shore. The night before the wedding I was watching the news and they had just caught a huge great white off of Montauk Point.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I just heard a news story on the radio that said Cabot pinged just west of Montauk. They thought his trip to Greenwich was just a diversion along the way to the destination somewhere off Nova Scotia.

He's a small guy compared to Mary Lee at 16'. She seems to make her way along the Jersey Shore every year on her way to Cape Cod.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I'm afraid of sharks. I love to swim in salt water. When Jaws first came out I didn't swim for a whole year. I've seen many sharks fishing with my family off Long Island (There are way more than 4 species around) including GW's. I've never heard of a GW Shark in Long Island Sound - let alone off Greenwich. A few years ago when we were taking our boat from Greenport to Westerly Ct. we stopped in mid sound a swim for a half hour. This story creeps me out. BTW does anyone know if the shark swam around Montauk and Orient to get in the Sound. GW's are regular denizens of the Block Island waters.
With me it was more like 4 years. We have been frequenting Block Island, Elizabeth Islands, Martha's Vineyard (Menemsha), and Nantucket since the 70's. That movie scared the stuffings out of me and I was seeing "sharks" around every corner. Last summer we had a GW around 16 ft swim into the Point Judith Harbor of Refuge and entangle itself in some fish traps. Rumor has it that there were seals living on Block Island, which attracts GWs. Bad ju-ju.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Well, this shark had no teeth, per se. Whale shark. :wink3:
How do you know? Would be a terrible mistake to make. If I saw that swim by my boat I'd probably call CG, Harbor Master, DEM, Tow Boat US, and anyone else on my speed dial. Jeez.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Perhaps he favors those lobster looking folk that recently shed their winter clothes and are out in the sun getting their burn on.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Don't swim with seals! Bad ju ju indeed. They say GW Sharks don't seek humans. But anyone can make a mistake. Have you every seen how they attack. They swim up from underneath and hit a seal so hard it's probably dead before it lands back in the water. That's not how I want to end. Not even time for a "Hail Mary." We once saw a Tiger shark swimming along the beach INSIDE Shinnicock Inlet where my brother and I used to dive. I never went diving there again. I couldn't ever be comfortable there again. These trackers are killing me. GW's are swimming along the beach a Napatree, Block Island, GREENWICH and probable about anywhere else you dip a toe on the NE coast.