Gravity wins

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
just curious, was the gentleman who fell, feeling ok before that? He looked a little uneasy and possibly sick the way he was positioned on the deck before flipping himself over prior to the plunge. There was a look of 'whatamIdoinghere' in his face as well.
I am so happy he had that thick vest on for his ribs but it also looks like the main point of impact was up under his arm and side. OUCH!! Imagine that really hurt by the time he got home.
Hmmm, I think he was fine. He did seem a bit overwhelmed by all the lines and stuff, the only other boat he had ever been on had 1 halyard and 3 sheets. He was (I know) looking back at a boat directly astern of us; maybe he got fixated on that.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
One reason on my boat the companionway slide remains closed unless some one is going down. Was on board a boat once when a crew was furling main and stepped right off into the cabin. He had some major pains.

Nov 8, 2010
One reason on my boat the companionway slide remains closed unless some one is going down. Was on board a boat once when a crew was furling main and stepped right off into the cabin. He had some major pains.
A fair point, in particular when cruising. When racing we're up and down all the time, and on the 260 its very hard to get out with the slide closed. We normally close it, but not always. So the crew just learns what's what. So it might be open unless we're in tacking mode. Maybe a good idea for the newbie races.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Brings up the other point about bringing strangers on board and asking them to do kind of dangerous stuff.. Was he by any chance married to a pissed off personal injury lawyer?

Life jacket needed the parachute option.. glad it all turned out OK.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Somewhere Clay has a video of some tall dude standing tall on a cockpit seat catching the boom.

Nov 8, 2010
Brings up the other point about bringing strangers on board and asking them to do kind of dangerous stuff..
Interesting question. What does it actually mean to ask a student to do 'dangerous stuff' when teaching them sailboat racing??

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I thought it was going to be a mast climbing thread.

I've always chased folks off the cabin that were not actively tying in a reef or something similar. I've seen too many people ejected from there.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm glad he's OK. The fall that really scares me is from standing, stepping into the companionway and falling to the cabin sole probably with a roll. It's SOP for me to close the companionway slider on boats I crew on. If the owner would rather it is open I will close it when the main sail is going up or down, putting on the sail cover etc. BTW once I was going down the companionway and had the hatch on the sole open so missed a step and fell. Besides nearly knocking me senseless I had an ankle sprain that never really heals. Be careful out there. Injuries suck. My mantra for my sixties is "Try not to do dumb S**t."

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
I still have nightmares about the time I fell one leg only down the still open forward hatch on a j105 trying to unf*#k a fouled spinnaker during a double hand race blowing +20. My wife could not understand why I wasn't able to have marital relations for a couple of weeks after.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So it was lack o' Weinie? No, I'm very sympathetic having stepped between rafters in my attic and, well, you know. Stupid stuff!

Nov 8, 2010
I still have nightmares about the time I fell one leg only down the still open forward hatch on a j105 trying to unf*#k a fouled spinnaker during a double hand race blowing +20. My wife could not understand why I wasn't able to have marital relations for a couple of weeks after.
Anyone doing that automatically gets the Sailing nickname ‘hatches’.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My dog did that on a Freedom 44. He tried to curl up on the screen and went right into the forward cabin. Landed between the 'V' berths.
He loved to sail.
Took him out on the hobie. Great dog, years ago, when we were first married, I still miss him.

Oh yeah, he survived the fall but for his pride.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Dangers aside, by the end of the 3 Saturdays they are pretty decent sailors. On the way home in 16 knots of breeze, I get bored of stitting on the rail and head to the bow to take some pictures.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don't know why everyone doesn't find that more thrilling and fun than a speed boat. You guys are having a great time. :clap:
nice video too.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I don't know why everyone doesn't find that more thrilling and fun than a speed boat. You guys are having a great time. :clap:
nice video too.

- Will (Dragonfly)
Will have you ever done 100+MPH on the water? I have on a offshore Shadow Cat with twin big blocks. I am still not sure if it was thrilling or if I was scared!
In hindsight I think it was thrilling.

Nov 8, 2010
Will have you ever done 100+MPH on the water? I have on a offshore Shadow Cat with twin big blocks. I am still not sure if it was thrilling or if I was scared!
In hindsight I think it was thrilling.
But with respect, thats really all nerve and no skill. I love the notion of GENERATING the speed. You can look at the video and say 'I did that'. Those guys smiled all that way back. At 8 MPH.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
But with respect, thats really all nerve and no skill. I love the notion of GENERATING the speed. You can look at the video and say 'I did that'. Those guys smiled all that way back. At 8 MPH.
I see your point, but have to disagree that there is no skill involved. But have to agree there is a lot of nerve. I never got involved in racing under sail, I prefer to just cruise and relax these days.
I can relate to the racing bug though. Good luck this season.