Gravity wins

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
every time. Each spring WYC runs a 3-weekend series to jump-start new crew. Its 90 minutes classroom, then 2 hours on the water. Then lunch and beer. Last day is an around the island race. Everyone has PDFs on, and we do a big crew briefing on safety. Guess I should have mentioned Sr Issac Newton.

PS- New crewbe (who is an MD) was OK, save for a huge bruise on his leg.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good thing he was bundled up and had a PFD on. It likely saved a rib from breaking... If only hurts when you laugh.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Well, he won’t try that stunt again! You always start recruits out with 6 weeks of physical training before putting them on their equipment. Core and upper body strength, squats and lots of stretching. Throw some running miles in there to get rid of the weight. Sailor conditioning. I’m really feeling the challenge - coming back from a broken arm is not conducive to being a boat monkey. Moving like an old dog!

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
All I heard was a muffled thump, after a bit I wondered where he went and soon found out!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Gives a whole new meaning to "Why don't you drop in at the boat sometime..."

Nov 8, 2010
Well, he won’t try that stunt again! You always start recruits out with 6 weeks of physical training before putting them on their equipment. Core and upper body strength, squats and lots of stretching. Throw some running miles in there to get rid of the weight. Sailor conditioning. I’m really feeling the challenge - coming back from a broken arm is not conducive to being a boat monkey. Moving like an old dog!
That's the #1 comment we get from new crewmembers.... they had no idea how physical sailboat racing was going to be. It really is a team SPORT. Even at this level it takes skill, strength, coordination, and conditioning. On bow for instance, everybody we use looks like they could be a gymnast. No place for the slow, weak, or un-coordinated!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
One other safety tip in that video...
Tip: When going forward, especially if partially obstructed path, pull up on the life line as you move about to secure yourself more to the deck.

Jim...

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
This teaches me that if I decide to start racing, I'll either limit myself to railmeat (I'm an excellent sitter), or I'll stick to something under 16 feet.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
This teaches me that if I decide to start racing, I'll either limit myself to railmeat (I'm an excellent sitter), or I'll stick to something under 16 feet.
I feel like I can sit like an Olympian too.
:)

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
One other safety tip in that video...
Tip: When going forward, especially if partially obstructed path, pull up on the life line as you move about to secure yourself more to the deck.

Jim...
Good tip in general, but I'll give experienced crew a pass if they chose to forgo the 'one hand for me' rule when moving about outside the cockpit. If you enforced that 100% while racing, nothing would get done!

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
just curious, was the gentleman who fell, feeling ok before that? He looked a little uneasy and possibly sick the way he was positioned on the deck before flipping himself over prior to the plunge. There was a look of 'whatamIdoinghere' in his face as well.
I am so happy he had that thick vest on for his ribs but it also looks like the main point of impact was up under his arm and side. OUCH!! Imagine that really hurt by the time he got home.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
every time. Each spring WYC runs a 3-weekend series to jump-start new crew. Its 90 minutes classroom, then 2 hours on the water. Then lunch and beer. Last day is an around the island race. Everyone has PDFs on, and we do a big crew briefing on safety. Guess I should have mentioned Sr Issac Newton.

PS- New crewbe (who is an MD) was OK, save for a huge bruise on his leg.
It always made me nervous when crew dogs wanted to sit up on the cabin trunk. Just seemed not ship shape and newbies were oh so vulnerable to flying jibes. There was a guy lost overboard some years back in an over night race in Block Island Sound. Was struck by the boom. I learned my lesson back in the day when I was a young crew dog on a 44 foot yacht. We were chugging in after cruising class with the main still set when a gust jibed the boom over and "..clunk...". Hit me a grazing blow. Skipper called "...who got hit...? Not a soul answered, especially me. Had a bit of an egg next morning but a lesson learned.:)