Gratitude and indebtiness . . .

Nov 4, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Catawba Island, OH
I spend a great deal of my time here not logged-in, but skimming through topics and reading those that have piqued my interest.

Because of this habit, I recently - as of today - solved an electrical issue that came to the fore because "all" I wanted to do was install a nav/com circuit. When looking behind your circuit panel brings to mind thoughts of Pandora's box, you have a good idea of where I was a week ago.

Some back story, if you'll indulge me, when I bought the boat the seller informed me that it had suffered a lighting strike in '09. This came about after I found a boat history (carfax/boatfax) report stating the boat was considered a total insurance loss. His explanation sounded reasonable, and assuming the gentleman was of reasonable intelligence, acceptable.

I won't go into the play-by-play of how I got from wanting a separate nav/com circuit to why does my auto bilge pump float switch not work when the battery switch is off. However, that's where I found myself at the end of Saturday.

Somewhere though, I had this nebulous recollection that I had read discussions about a pink wire that was attached to the #1 terminal of the battery switch and that was for the auto bilge pump. I remembered also that someone asked if that could also be used for running DC refrigeration. A few more searches, some time searching for information on my particular bilge pump and an eureka moment on the toilet - I sallied forth today to victory!

That pink wire remembrance was the key.

Therefore, I have only gratitude to express to my fellow sailors.
Thank you,
Alec

Nov 4, 2018
Unlike you SoCal's I gotta wait 'till the boat's back in the water!
Scheduled launch 24 April - can't wait!

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I grew up on boats, race boats, tinker with boats, re-wired my boat, re-plumbed my boat, rebuilt engines, am a mechanical engineer, and yet, I learn things here all the time. This is a great community.

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Hey Red Dog. One of the former owners of Red Dog lives in Port Clinton and keeps his J-29 aptly named Red Dog in Sandusky. I am pretty sure he was the owner that sold it to the guy you bought it from. PM if you want to contact him.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Lots of experience to draw from on this forum. It seems that chronologically the majority of us are somewhere north of 70. Most of us have been sailing for a long time, “enjoy” working on our boats, and have at least some technical expertise that we are willing to share.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
... and an eureka moment on the toilet - I sallied forth today to victory!
I worry about reading more of threads that have this particular phrase in it. Welcome to posting, and not lurking, Red Dog. It's nice to have someone here that can solve electrical problems.

Nov 4, 2018
Major ones, I don't know that I can. Minor ones, it usually takes more time to execute the solution than solve it