GPS Location.

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
this looks like you mounted the Garmin to the edson pedestal guard on a side mount. What are the exterior dimensions of the device? Do you find it to be well located and sufficiently visible? Do ever bump into it while going forward or during rough weather? That is the argument I've heard advising me against this side mount.

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
this looks like a great solution. it is more affordable than Edson pod. It is removable to deter theft. The Edson pod is not removable but is more secure and would be hard for a thief to take. How much do we sailors need to worry about theft?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
has an Edson wheel and pedestal with an original 1" diameter x 45" height pedestal guard. Edson suggests I replace that with the 1 1/8" diameter X 58" tall bent pedestal guard that enables the system to be right in front of the helmsman
Navpod also makes several styles of helm guards fairly reasonable(compared to Edson). I upgraded my Edson helm from a 1" hoop to 1 1/4 double bend. They are about 250 for the guard plus 170 for the part under your compass.

IMG_0398.JPG

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Keep in mind that actual GPS units will work far out to sea. Pads/cell phones/laptops are dependent on land based signals. You can get a decent handleld marine GPS for $100.00 that's waterproof... why wouldn't you ?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Not true. The gps in my phone or iPad will work far out to sea. Just like the dedicated gps. It won't get a fix as quickly when starting up but it still gets the signal like the dedicated unit. The software you selected for you phone or iPad may not work without a connection to the internet --why you would choose a package that doesn't cache maps you've selected reflects on you not the device

Les

RJD

Aug 31, 2013
Catalina 22 Chesapeake Bay, Deale, MD
My arrangement is similar to Gene Neill's. I also use the Navionics App on my iphone which is plugged into a USB port in one of the cubbies and charging off the house battery. I bought a long charging cord so the phone reaches all points in the cockpit.
20140524_123234.jpg

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
My arrangement is similar to Gene Neill's. I also use the Navionics App on my iphone which is plugged into a USB port in one of the cubbies and charging off the house battery. I bought a long charging cord so the phone reaches all points in the cockpit. View attachment 134360
I like your setup better than mine!:thumbup:

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Never dropped a cell signal eeh? It's possible to be out to sea between promontories and maintain signal. However, cell signals are LOSP Line of sight propagation. When you dip below the horizon of the signal you WILL loose it.

Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
True, but most cellphones have an independent GPS chip. They do not need any land based connection. It can use the cell signal to speed up the initial fix identification on start up but isn't reliant on it. It would need the cell signal (data) to download maps if you don't do it ahead of time.
But you can certainly use many of these phones as a stand alone GPS. I have a couple of "old" phones (an apple 4 and a Nokia running windows mobile) that I use as stand alone GPSs all the time. None of these phones have active cell phone service contracts. I do have to download maps (using wifi) before I set out or I risk being mapless. I've used these both on boats and on aircraft (my own) where there is no cell phone signal and they work quite well. Might be cheaper to buy a dedicated GPS, but I had these laying around the house gathering dust.......

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
What LM said.

The ONLY common, modern device that requires Cell/Wifi for location is the WiFi ONLY iPad. It does not have a GSP chip. The Cellular iPads do, as well as every android device I know of.

As has been said, these devices will use cellular-augmented A-GPS to help speed a first fix, but are 100% capable of working in the total absence of cell or wifi signals.

That settles the LOCATION/GPS argument.

It of course assumes that your app has or can downloaded maps that can be rendered underneath your position. If not you just get numeric lat/long.

Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
For some reason ($$?) most tablet/cell phones use an integrated GPS/cellular chipset. So if you have cellphone capability (as some of the Ipads do/did) they have internal GPS as well. A lot of tablets (particularly android) also have GPS capability via a different chipset, but not all do. I have a couple of small Insignia (Best Buy) brand tablets laying around as well as the small Kindle fire that don't have GPS. I though I might be able to use them (in the cabin) as small wannabe navigation plotters. :-( Oh well........but in any case I still agree that using your eyes is vitally important......I'm just a gadget freak at heart! :) The best way to test a device that you are unsure of is to download a map app of some sort, then turn OFF both cellphone AND Wifi (airplane mode) then drive around and see if the device can still plot your position......

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
I have a sailboat with a wheel and pedestal and pedestal guard. I have the Raymarine A77 multifunction device and the Ev100 autopilot. Am considering mounting options.

Best way may be a replacement pedestal guard (58" and bent vs the 45" straight one I have now) with an Edson instrument pod. This is breaking my budget though. I'm looking at a more cost effective approach - the ram mount. This approach however leaves the instrument to the weather elements as it is not encased in a pod. Is the A77 built to withstand the elements in a setup like this?

When not underway I'll leave a cover over it but if underway while it is raining it is likely to be exposed to wet conditions even though I have a Bimini cover that is usually in place. I've asked RM but thought I'd check with this forum as well

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Randall, our boat came with an auto helm. The control head was mounted on the stbd cockpit combing. Within sight but not reach. My radar crapped out and I went digital with an MFD. The old radar receiver was mounted in a Edson radar box. I used it and a piece of starboard to move the auto helm to the helm. I'm sure these Edson boxes are eBay fodder these days. maybe.......