Got it all apart

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
As I finished putting all the winch pieces back together, I came to an issue.
Do I reuse the Circ Carbon Steel clip used by the former owner on the bottom side of the winch shaft,
or do I find the correct part and have a non rusting solution.

Well you know I threw the rust clip away and asked my friend Google for help.
What I learned is the correct part is a Spirolux Retainer Clip. It is a piece of stainless (302 Stainless) that fits in a 0.03 groove on the end of the main shaft. The top ring is about 1.25" in diameter. The bottom one is .59". You can find the top one in most winch kits. The bottom one is special. The Spirolux part number is RSN-59S. The Spirolux rings are still being made by a company in Illinois named Smalley. Website smalley.com. The Smalley part number for the RSN-59S is WSM59-S02.

There is a minimum $25 order from the company. They will sell to boat owners. For $25 you can get 37 of the small Retainer Clips. Or you can buy 17 of the Top retainer clips. Or you can mix and match as I did and have a few left over. Should get my clips by next week so I can complete the winch assembly.

spike

Feb 23, 2019
White Tornado Rhode Island
Just in case someone else like me ends up here looking for info on Barient 23 winches, I've made a disassembly/reassembly video at
. It's long and boring, and the videography's not great, but it's got all the information.

Oct 22, 2014
Nice Job @spike

Agree that the design leaves a bit to be desired if you want to clean and service the winch each year. Removing the winch to clean and lube should not mean taking the winch off the boat to a shop. New winch designs avoid that issue.

But a used Barlow or Barient winch can be very serviceable.

That "Circle Clip" you speak about is called a "Spirolox Retaining Ring". As I read it was the property of Barient Winches. It was bought by a company in Illinois (Smalley, 555 Oakwood Rd, Lake Zurich, IL 60047)
and is still being manufactured by them. The winch I took apart had a rusted CircClip in place. I contacted the company and was able to purchase replacement Spirolox Retaining rings https://www.smalley.com/retaining-rings/spirolox.

spike

Feb 23, 2019
Nice Job @spike

That "Circle Clip" you speak about is called a "Spirolox Retaining Ring". As I read it was the property of Barient Winches. It was bought by a company in Illinois (Smalley, 555 Oakwood Rd, Lake Zurich, IL 60047)
and is still being manufactured by them. The winch I took apart had a rusted CircClip in place. I contacted the company and was able to purchase replacement Spirolox Retaining rings https://www.smalley.com/retaining-rings/spirolox.
Wow...great information! I'm actually considering milling up a stainless plate with a slot in it that can replace the bottom Spirolox. That plate would then be anchored to the bronze casting somehow (small hex cap screw?), so that I could undo one fastener, pull out the plate, and be done. Yeah, that means more wear on the groove, but since this is my main halyard winch, it just doesn't get all that many turns per year (alas). I might try to cobble up some sort of failsafe like a large thumbscrew that screws into threads I'd cut in the bottom 1/4" of the splined spindle; then if the "plate" failed, the spindle would come out about 1/2", but still work fine rather than falling overboard...

Oct 22, 2014
I have been using Corrosion Block spray on the main (bronze) gears that require removal. Problem is the lower pawls. As long as they click and hold the winch, no issue. But is there is a failure to engage it means I have to remove the winch and do a complete service.

So far no issues for the past 2 years.

My winches are 24's and there was only one set of roller bearings. Below the single bearing was a bronze spacer. I lube that with a grease. Keeps the winch running smoothly.

This spring I need to service both of the winches.

spike

Feb 23, 2019
If I figure out some way to make that stainless spindle-holder, I'll send a picture. I still won't be able to lube the idler gear, but that's life.