Got it all apart

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Honey. Where did you say that parts image was for the Winch?

IMG_1350.JPG

Now that I have it all cleaned, it is time to put the puzzle back together. Cross my fingers, no extra parts.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
LOL... I just did a Barient ST similar to that. Have no fear, most of the parts are sized and shaped differently so they can't go back together the wrong way. I found a couple helpful videos on youtube, they may not be the same exact model but are similar enough that you will get the jist of it.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I always take pictures at each level of dis-assembly. It really helps my feeble mind.

Here is the manual for a Barient 23 2-speed self tailing winch:
http://l-36.com/winches_pages.php?winch=mod23.htm

This is less likely to help, as it is not the self tailing variety, and I learned the HARD way that it matters:
http://www.cheoyleeassociation.com/RestorationIssues/Manuals/Barlow Barient Winchs.pdf
(scroll to page 3 of the PDF).

If neither helps you, contact sales@huttonwinches.com (in Australia). They still support Barlow and Barient, and have LOTS of documentation.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You have another one on the other side of your cockpit. :)

I did mine before the advent of digital cameras, so I drew diagrams, which I still have in my boat book.

Calder's Boatowners Manual also has the Lewmar diagrams.

Lots of sources, but you have a closer one, right? :)

Oct 22, 2014
Thanks Cloud Diver. I saw all the parts assembled before me and thought, I'll bet this would be the time some folks panic.

These are ST 23's. When I took it apart there was a part B-24024 Screw Stop Plate missing. Any idea of the significance? It was missing on both the winches I bought used.

Oct 22, 2014
Yes Stu. I did one and no parts leftover so high confidence. I have a printout of parts and procedure. So we play with the puzzle. Lay it out the way I took it apart then work backwards. :biggrin:

Oct 22, 2014
SFS. Nice links. I'm guessing the winches I have are older than the images in the links

I have a single roller bearing and what looks like a copper sleeve that is the same size as the bearing.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
jssailem - I agree with you. The best way to do it is to lay the parts out on a clean surface as you take them apart. Then when you are reassembling you just reverse the process. I also take a wire brush (brass where required) to all parts to remove surface oxidation. And taking pictures at each point in the process helps the brain cells keep it organized. But that being said, the best advice is make sure you get the proper manual. They are out there.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Honey. Where did you say that parts image was for the Winch?
Now that I have it all cleaned, it is time to put the puzzle back together. Cross my fingers, no extra parts.
Just watch those little pawl springs....they will jump out of your fingers when you least expect it...and they are hard to find once they fly out (don't ask me how I know :)

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
It's good news when it goes back together and all the parts are used. None left to trigger the question "Where did that come from?" Big smiles here.
image.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
Just watch those little pawl springs.
Greg. I can just imagine. I used nitrile gloves. Helped to hold on to all those tricky pieces. It is one of the reasons I did the cleaning at home on my table with lots of light.
It went a little easier then I feared.

Now I get to take these to the boat and install them.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I do believe that complete disassembly of a winch is only done to replace worn or broken parts and quite unnecessary for a cleaning. Immersing the mechanism in a solvent and detergent will get rid of caked grease and dirt and then applying a non-aging synthetic lubricant like Harken will finish the job. Winch components are pretty sturdy but when disassembling there is always the risk that a part can be broken or lost and this might be critical especially in winches which are no longer manufactured and certain parts may not be readily available.

Oct 22, 2014
Makes perfect sense, Benny. This pair was a purchase of used winches that became available while in the middle of my mast restoration. Before I installed them I wanted to know the condition of all parts. So disassemble clean and reassemble was the mission. I learned that one winch was missing an internal set of pawls and springs. Something not possible with out fully opening up the winch. While used it is in satifactory condition and all parts found their home clean and ready for service.
I can't wait to install them and bend a sail to them.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
SFS. Nice links. I'm guessing the winches I have are older than the images in the links

I have a single roller bearing and what looks like a copper sleeve that is the same size as the bearing.
The folks at Hutton, who were very nice to deal with, let me know that for any given model number, multiple variations exist, and they seem to have diagrams for most, if not all of them. If you need them in the future, don't hesitate to get in touch. They also have still have parts for some, maybe many, of the winches. Good job on the rehab. Where did you buy the needed springs and pawls?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
I found two kits at Fisheries Supply in Seattle. Labeled as Barient Kit. Includes 2 pawls, 4 springs, 2 large top of winch spring clips for about $11.

I sent an inquiry to Hutton's email account. Have not heard back yet going to send them another question. It would be nice to have a contact.

Thanks for your ideas.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I got springs for mine by just buying a Lewmar service kit. The pawls are identical; not 100% sure but that is one gift Barient gave the sailing world (besides the first US patent on the ST winch), is standardized springs and pawls. Now, there is a difference among springs - You will notice that on the Barient pawl spring one of the legs is bent, so they are asymmetrical and are supposed to be installed with the bent leg against the pawl (I think).... Harken and Lewmar pawl springs are symmetrical, no bent leg and install either way. Well I looked up on ye ol' interwebs that one specific part number of Lewmar replacement pawl springs are supposed to be the bent-leg springs for use in Barient winches, they are available on Defender (the kit says out right that it works to service Barient winches). I found that exact part number on the shelf at my local West Marine but the springs were most definitely symmetric, no bent leg what so ever. I pointed that out to the Rigger/Tech and I got a Deer in the headlights look... I said screw it and I bought the full winch service kit that came with the synthetic grease, pawl oil, a brush, a set of pawls and a few pawl springs... Dry fit and tested them and found no functional difference. If anything, the symmetrical pawl spring holds the spring apex eye slightly farther away from the pawl body which under compression makes the spring rate a bit higher. Being as tiny as they are I doubt it makes any significant difference.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
This pair was a purchase of used winches that became available while in the middle of my mast restoration. Before I installed them I wanted to know the condition of all parts. So disassemble clean and reassemble was the mission.
My mistake, I assumed you had taken them off the boat just for cleaning. Since you were not familiar with their condition, it made perfect sense.

drdanj

Jun 15, 2009
Hunter 290 Channel Islands
I serviced my Lewmar ST 48's and learned to use Lewmar winch grease (Practical Sailor has a new article, says it is the best brand). Their kit is great. I have a cabintop Lewmar 16 ST for the mainsheet. You're supposed to bang the self-tailer to take the top off, no bolts or screw-top. No amount or type of effort will loosen that piece. Any ideas for getting it off?

drdanj

Jun 15, 2009
Hunter 290 Channel Islands
I'm glad I took apart my main Lewmar 48 ST's. I've had the boat six years, I doubt anyone serviced them for more than 20 years (I know one PO who likely did). The bearings especially were caked in grimy grease, I spent a long time with a very soft toothbrush cleaning the races. Luckily the bearings were fine, and nothing was pitted. Back together, they run much more freely and they are quieter and the sound is "nicer," I don't know how to describe the difference.

Oct 22, 2014
DrDanj, Barient instructions directs the tapping of the feeder arm counter clockwise to release the feeder arm from the winch.

I just today discovered where to get the spring retainer rings that hold the gears on to the shaft.

The Barient uses a Spirolux snap ring. I found them from a company in Illinois. I'm going to buy several. Let me know if you need some.