Got a line on a 1978 Catalina 30

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Read up on varnishing. Many prefer to start with two coats of epoxy, then varnish. That will seal the wood. As you saw in my pictures, I removed all the teak anddid the job at home. The screws in my boat were 2 1/2" with a finish washer and screw from inside. The hatch wood I screwed down also using finish washers. Except for the hatch handle, i left all that teak out. Looks cleaner that way.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Thanks Tony! They're in the back of my car now. Ok, so the screws are 2 1/2" long but what did you seal with on the top?

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hi, thanks for the responses! I've opened the green handled lever on the port side near the head and discovered that it feeds lake water to the head(specifically the toilet) but there is a big valve(round handle) on the same thru-hull that is frozen open! Should I be concerned that it is frozen(I'm assuming it is open since the green handle works)? Any ideas on how to proceed? Also, how do I determine if there is a Y-valve and if the waste goes to the holding tank or overboard? By the way, I have WAG bags for emergencies(#2)!

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
I wouldn't be concerned as long as you can close one. Yes it is normal for lakevwater to head. The thru hull for the waste has no way to exit the toilet since it is below waterline. Need macerator pump to get it out, which should be after tank. Macerator pump has two exits. One to thru hull and one to pump out on deck port side.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Thanks John! How do I determine if there is a macerator pump? I will assume the holding tank is under the v-berth and it appears to be empty. There is a water tank(I assume) on the starboard side in the cabin and while their is a water intake on the deck there does not appear to be a hose leading to it? What's up with that? I'm confused here and need advice!

Jul 14, 2015
My holding tank is port side. 2nd fresh water is under v birth. Check for macerator pump to port side of engine below the fuel water seperator. 2.5 inch black hose going to it. Not unusual for water intake hoses to be gone. There is an opening on top of tanks to fill also.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Thanks John! What do I flip on the panel? I'll post a photo of the panel which is in the galley to the left of the icebox! The battery selector is in the galley as well under and to the right of the stove! There is an opening to fill what I assume is the water tank at the top of the tank on the starboard side but where is the pump located? Everything in my boat is different than the pictures I see. Also I have a 12-volt refrigerator under the "navigation" table but no panel or battery switch above! Strange indeed!

Jul 14, 2015
I have changed my mind. Don't flip switch. It creates allot of pressure. I have a switch labeled macerator on panel. Look for 2.5 inch black hose leading to a pump.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
There is no switch marked "Macerator" and there is no switch marked "Water pump". I'm thoroughly confused here. I have a lavatory in the head with a faucet and a single sink in the galley with a faucet. I'll post pictures tomorrow, perhaps you or someone can shed more light on what I've got here! Thanks!

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Hi, thanks for the responses! I've opened the green handled lever on the port side near the head and discovered that it feeds lake water to the head(specifically the toilet) but there is a big valve(round handle) on the same thru-hull that is frozen open! Should I be concerned that it is frozen(I'm assuming it is open since the green handle works)? Any ideas on how to proceed? Also, how do I determine if there is a Y-valve and if the waste goes to the holding tank or overboard? By the way, I have WAG bags for emergencies(#2)!
Ehh, do not assume anything. Is the round handle a gate valve. If so it may be factory and you will want to replace it next haul. Keep a wood plug handy.

Watch out for goofy waste systems. Our boat had an old school chemical treatment tank, only a few gallons, in the vberth tucked against the head bulkhead.

Trace out all your hoses and try to draw a diagram. Previous owners do some crazy things that they think is genius at the time.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Thanks John, I have no such label/switch! I just picked the boat up Friday evening and cleaned all day Saturday! Today it rained and I hope to sail tomorrow! We'll see! I'll report back after I do more exploring! I appreciate your feedback and advice!

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Thanks TG. You won't believe all the crazy stuff on this boat! The traveler is the strangest "upgrade" I've ever seen and there are so many others! I'll post pictures tomorrow night! Have a great evening and thanks for your input! You are so right about the crazy things people do! This boat will blow you away!

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hi, I just got back from the lake and naturally I forgot to take pictures! But I probably will go back Tuesday or Wednesday. I've been checking out what I could and there appears to be no waste outlet on the deck! However there are two water inlet holes, one port and one starboard Like I said previously I am confused! There are two tanks in the V-berth, one appears to be for water and one appears to for waste. There is another tank on the starboard side that appears to be for water but it in not connected to anything that I am aware of at this point. I had previously figured that my engine was a Universal 5411. Well that is wrong too, upon further investigation, I have discovered it is a Yanmar SB12. I had noticed that the engine "compartment" had been modified to accommodate the taller engine when I made the discovery it was a Yanmar. Does anyone know how to tell it's age? Any help would be appreciated!

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
We have 2 fresh water fills ports next to each other on the starboard deck with below deck access above the dresser hanging locker, one fill port for the settee tank and the other for the vberth tank. The vberth tank has a proper vent but the settee tank does not.

Our waste pump out is port side aft next to the fuel filler marked waste. A previous owner of our boat had plumbed the waste tank directly to the manual bilge pump and it was pumped out the transom thru hull. We basically had to remove our entire waste system and install a new tank and hoses. I did get to reuse the toilet bowl but replaced the head pump.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Thanks TG, I'm still trying to figure this all out! Does anyone know where I can find a specs and service manual for a Yanmar SB12?

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
maybe you should write a book about hiring a surveyor who knows catalina 30's and make enough profit to forget this tub.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hi Morty, that's a good one! I knew the boat had "issues" when I bought her. Yes, I probably should have hired a surveyor but he/she certainly would have advised me to "forget this tub" as you so eloquently stated it. Unfortunately , I am not wealthy and this is more than likely my only opportunity to buy a boat with the attributes of a Catalina 30(a great lake boat) at a price within my budget. Actually, chances are that eventually I may have more in the boat than I could have actually purchased one outright without the aforementioned "issues". It would be impossible for me to come up with $15-25,000 to buy a boat in tip-top shape! But be that as it may, I can still can sail the boat while making repairs! I call that an improvement over sitting on the dock!